NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"+113 per HOUR"! 37% of the U.S. population growth. Outrageous.

Perhaps an entry fee is in order...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
A simple $1000 entry fee would bring $989,880,000 a year. That is if the 113 an hour or 989,880 is actually right. Also have to wonder if/how many of those are border jumpers...either way that's a lot of money, yet only a small dent to the gubament.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Read another scary and upsetting statistic today.

80% of Americans have never travelled outside of America :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Read another scary and upsetting statistic today.

I have, but traveling from country to country for you is like us traveling from city to city. As an example, it's 800+ miles across Texas, where would that radius take you? From Houston, Dallas is about 260 miles, where would that radius take you? Sadly, however, many Americans, I don't know the percentage, have never left their own State. even those that have never left the City they grew up in. Too bad, such a big world, and so much to see.

But then, as noted, the world seems to be coming to roost here! (lol)

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I have, but traveling from country to country for you is like us traveling from city to city. As an example, it's 800+ miles across Texas, where would that radius take you? From Houston, Dallas is about 260 miles, where would that radius take you? Sadly, however, many Americans, I don't know the percentage, have never left their own State. even those that have never left the City they grew up in. Too bad, such a big world, and so much to see.

But then, as noted, the world seems to be coming to roost here! (lol)

M.
800+ miles just makes me wonder why you guys/gals don't travel more. I love England, seen a lot of it. But i love the world too. Couldn't imagine never leaving England to see other places, mind boggling that i read 74% of Americans don't own a passport. I don't see the mileage being an issue as all you do is fly somewhere. 26 hours flight to New Zealand i did. How far will that get you across the States :p

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
It's mostly because people are either workaholics and don't take the time to actually go anywhere, they can't afford to because they barely make enough to live or they just don't want to for whatever reason. There are a lot of people that won't go somewhere if they can't drive there so mileage can be an issue. There are all sorts of reasons. If it wasn't for going places for work, then I probably wouldn't leave the country except maybe once or even twice.

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Can I be one the 113 ? :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
It's mostly because people are either workaholics and don't take the time to actually go anywhere, they can't afford to because they barely make enough to live or they just don't want to for whatever reason. There are a lot of people that won't go somewhere if they can't drive there so mileage can be an issue. There are all sorts of reasons. If it wasn't for going places for work, then I probably wouldn't leave the country except maybe once or even twice.
From what I understand, Europe seems to value vacation time a lot more than we do here. Its easier for them to get time off/they get longer vacations and more time than we do. My husband started his job 2 1/2 years ago and has had 1 week of vacation each year, no sick days. And he works 50 hours a week usually. Next year he'll get bumped to 2 weeks vaca. OOooohhh.

But really, when you get that little time, its usually taken for us to go visit family that we don't see often. I may be going to Sweden for a conference for work next year though. He'll be taking time off and going with me for sure :D I've been to Canada and Jamaica so I've been out of the country. I've been really wanting to go to Europe though. Hoping I get the chance. I have a feeling we'll end up catching a flight to get into Germany or France while we're there!

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
From what I understand, Europe seems to value vacation time a lot more than we do here. Its easier for them to get time off/they get longer vacations and more time than we do. My husband started his job 2 1/2 years ago and has had 1 week of vacation each year, no sick days. And he works 50 hours a week usually. Next year he'll get bumped to 2 weeks vaca. OOooohhh.

But really, when you get that little time, its usually taken for us to go visit family that we don't see often. I may be going to Sweden for a conference for work next year though. He'll be taking time off and going with me for sure :D I've been to Canada and Jamaica so I've been out of the country. I've been really wanting to go to Europe though. Hoping I get the chance. I have a feeling we'll end up catching a flight to get into Germany or France while we're there!
Yeah they do seem to. When I was there it seemed that I was always seeing cars from other countries. If your lucky you get vacation time in the US. Seems like the only way to get a decent amount is to work for yourself and make enough/save up enough to go a few weeks or whatever without working, or work for the government, and even then starting out you're not much better off.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Please send tickets and expense money..I'll be right over.:D
I used to think it was really expensive to fly anywhere, go anywhere.

£310 per person for 7 nights including flights to Egypt and 5* Hotel all inclusive.

Think we both paid around £10 each for our day trips out which included lunch and dinner. Flight time 6 hrs

Barcelona was £59 Per Person. Including return flights, 4* Hotel bed and breakfast. For 4 days. Fri to Monday. We stuffed ourselves in breakfast, missed lunch and had dinner the cheapest way She doesn't get the time off in holiday, just joins up two weeks worth of 2 days off. She works 60 hour weeks waitressing.Flight time 2 hrs

Flights here in the UK are amazingly cheap when coupled with hotels too.

Guess over there it takes you 5+ hours just to fly over that pond to anywhere.

Just the thing i can't get my head around, is i have cousins in Tennessee who both work (married) close to low wage jobs and take 5 day vacations 4 times a year. I know America has a lot to offer on your doorstep, but the World has so much more ;) :)

If i win the lotto your all coming on a Blugg European Vacation :D

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Hell yeah! Anybody can be! But why??????
I would love to stay in the states for some years.
Getting a job there, getting to know the 'american habits', just be one of you guys. Maybe I'll long for home quite soon, maybe...

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts

In Belgium, the norm is 20 days of holiday + national bank holidays per year, that's the minimum. In some branches that can go up to about 40 days + national bank holidays.

I can not imagine having any less than 20! That's not human :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
This is because we are too poor to travel......At least, I am. :(

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I would love to stay in the states for some years.
Getting a job there, getting to know the 'american habits', just be one of you guys. Maybe I'll long for home quite soon, maybe...
My Girlfriend is from Poland. There is a Lottory for U.S. visa's each year. This year she applied and i said i would to. We applied together, she did first, i took at least 20 mins cropping a facebook photo of her to use on her application and 15 mins on mine. But when it came to say what country i was applying from, U.K. was not on this list, neither was Great Britain or England :confused::(

So she applied and i couldn't, i know it's a lottory, but still, i wanted my chance to invade, now if she get's excepted i'll have to marry her :lol:

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
:)
My Girlfriend is from Poland. There is a Lottory for U.S. visa's each year. This year she applied and i said i would to. We applied together, she did first, i took at least 20 mins cropping a facebook photo of her to use on her application and 15 mins on mine. But when it came to say what country i was applying from, U.K. was not on this list, neither was Great Britain or England :confused::(

So she applied and i couldn't, i know it's a lottory, but still, i wanted my chance to invade, now if she get's excepted i'll have to marry her :lol:
Yes, I heard about those lotteries. Very strange way of applying for a visa imo...

Which org member can give me a job for a few years? :cool:
My English is pretty ok :):rolleyes:

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
here in the states they recommend that you use a proffesional passport photo service which can caost alot of money and then fill out all the paper work and pay more fee's for stuff you may need likme a copy of your birth cirtificate and then pay a $140 application fee + a $25 dollar execution fee. I'm guessing a good portion of americans pay at least $200 to get their passport.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 21 Posts