NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I have a 02 turbo s and just replaced the dv; today, the original dv was a 710n. If you feel like your boost is low or having boost hesitation, fluttering or irregularities; definitely consider replacing it! It has fixed my long term boost issues I have been having! Finally! :)

factory original from 2002

1.the original one is a Bosch unit;
Volkswagen part #: 06A 145 710N
Bosch part #:0 280 142 114
Date code on top: 29.11.01 14 09
(I am assuming the first three groups are: day, month, year)
Made in Germany

bought from a vw dealer 6/2013

2. the new part is a different vendor; it is a Kayser:
Volkswagen part #: 06A 145 710N
Kayser part #:KYS 3.023.351
Date code on top: 07.11.12 22 16
(I am assuming the first three groups are: day, month, year)
Made in Germany

I have been a life long VW Bosch parts purchaser and always have been happy with their products; so, it was a surprise to see a different name on the valve.

Kayser is a new oem brand to me;I have never heard of them before, they look like a relatively new company having been founded in 1997.Maybe VW was able to get a cheaper contract with them; then with their traditional vendor Bosch? Who knows? Here is some info I found on the web:

A. Kayser Automotive Systems GmbH
Hullerser Landstra?e 43 , Einbeck , , 37574 , Germany
Weiterleitung
Phone: 49 55 61 79 020
Revenue: $159M
Industry: Motorcycle & Auto Parts
Employees: 605
SIC: Motorcycles, Bicycles & Parts (3751)
NAICS: Motor Vehicle Supplies and New Parts Merchant Wholesalers (423120)
Description: A. Kayser Automotive Systems GmbH develops, produces, and supplies high-quality modules and ready-to-install systems for automobile manufacturers and suppliers in America, Asia, and Europe. It offers activated carbon canisters, valves, lines, connectors, reservoirs, filters, air ducts, and other products. The company was founded in 1997 and is based in Einbeck, Germany with locations in Glauchau, Germany; Puebla, Mexico; Berrioplano, Spain; Batorowo, Poland; Komarom, Hungary; and Suzhou, China.
2013-06-22 03:03:01

·
Turbo
317 Posts
So is that why I here a fluttering from the turbo..? It's really loud.. when I let off the gas pedal, it makes a really loud fluttering noise, and my boost gauge stops at 10 lbs and fluctuates. Is that because of the diverter valve?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
Turbo
317 Posts
It is possible that I could be the issue; you might read my previous post to hear about the issues I was dealing with. I would recommend that you test it to see if it holds pressure; Using a vacuum tester with a gauge.. You can read about How to do the testing in this link.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-lit...ock-motor-apr-aftermarket-vs-stock-bosch.html
I'll have to do that. I'm getting a tune this week, should I wait to get it tested before I get the tune?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Well, if you want your Beetle to run correctly; regardless, of whether you are going to get a tune or not... YES. I bought a Mityvac Vacuum Pump (MITYVAC - Item #39522); since, the DV was somewhat expensive and there are so many other things on the boost system that can be tested with the tool, I figured it was a good investment. Cars paid for and I'm not going anywhere; so, I am going to have to keep fixing this thing! :)

If you are getting a tune; that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms; as there are many other options out there (which I discussed in the other thread, there are probably even more on the market a couple of years later). The benefit of many of the other brands of DV's is that generally, they can be taken apart; most are made of metal and you can put different strength springs in them. The different strength springs are used; based upon your boost range and they can be maintained, greased, cleaned etc. There seemed to be quite a few posts about different aftermarket DVs sticking; so, it looks like you have to maintain them. I guess throw away 710Ns when they fail or wear out; buy new ones or take apart, maintain or rebuild the aftermarket units when they have problems.

Maybe others; here who have purchased some, can chime in with their experiences. I'm just regurgitating what I have read online. :) At the time of the link; I did allot of research and had a hard time figuring out what was a good solution. There was a whole range of feedback from users; praising some, hating others and many just saying to stick with a 710N, go figure (so much for internet help!). Granted, I am at a stock 180HP/AWP/K03s (11-12 PSI) boost levels; so, I think it is less of a issue then if you are getting into the upper levels of boost, with aftermarket tune upgrades. You might ask the software tuning company (apr, revo, unitronic etc.) what they recommend. Seeing how they sell the tune and are having feedback from their customers; they should have a opinion on what works. Not much of a answer but I hope this helps! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I put in a Forge 007 DV into my GTI and it works great. I had no problems with the stock DV at nearly 130k, but I'm preparing to get a Stage 2 tune so I wanted to upgrade it. I'm happy with it so far. And the Forge units are very, very commonly used. I would probably go with a Forge unit myself if I were upgrading, especially if you are getting tuned. The 007 comes with 2 other springs and spacers so you can tweak it as needed for any additional boost you have. Seems like a really solid unit.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
I thought this video was interesting.

Forge 007 Diverter Valve Cleaning and Lube DIY

Forge 007 Diverter Valve Cleaning and Lube DIY - YouTube

Smileybug; have you had any sticking issues, have you replaced any internal parts (o-rings) and how often do you take it apart, clean/lube it? The video; seems to say that the paint on the springs coming off; can cause sticking, others say removing the paint... fixes the problem. Also, reference 3k to 5k; service interval. Any info appreciated! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I've only had it on for a short time. So far, no problems at all. My mechanic says my boost is perfect and my engine is one of the strongest they've had in there in awhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts