NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Newbee
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... I had an '02 NB for a while before my poor Jasper pooped out, and now am not only Beetle-less, but also VW-less. Sigh! Anyway one of my neighbors has put a shiny blue '72 Superbeetle for $7k in their front yard. Haven't had a chance to look at it or ask questions (holiday weekend kept me busy busy) but on quick outside inspection, looked to be in pretty good condition.

In any case, I wouldn't buy it without a closer look, but my main concern in posting this here is... How do I know the Superbeetle is right for me? I take care of my cars, but would I be looking into a high, long-term financial investment? Assuming it's in drivable condition, could I expect to make it a daily driver (or at the very least a weekend-only driver) without several maintenance bills a month? I'm all for show cars, but I'm not yet at a point in my life where I'm looking for a "project car." I'm totally down with learning DIY repairs but I'm not terribly keen on putting more than maybe $500 per month into a car, even as awesome as this one.

I know that a lot of the answers to my concerns depend on the condition of the car, but round me out for a decently conditioned Superbeetle vs a tip-top Superbeetle, because I won't buy it unless it's at least somewhat drivable, if not a little bit of a fixer-upper.

It's been either driven or moved for some other reason recently; about two weeks ago I saw it for sale and kept forgetting to pull over, and now that it's reappeared I want to see if it's a good match for my life. I'll be keeping it in my parents' driveway (since I don't have my own) and likely only driving it to run errands or take joy rides on the weekends. My dad would pounce on a project like this, too, so I'd have help if I needed it... But otherwise it'd be a solo venture.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Or tell me the story of your first Superbeetle--what convinced you to buy it, how much work did you have to put into it, and of course pictures if you have any!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Take the $7000 and get a 2012! :lol:

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Take the $7000 and get a 2012! :lol:
Deb.. for SHAME!! Don't discourage the man from his dream!
Of all people.. :eek:

You know, Cookie.. I don't have a Super Beetle. I've only dreamed of one preeeeetty much my entire life.

But I tell you what. If you can afford the 7K, and it's in GREAT condition, I'd get it. If it's something that makes you happy, WHY NOT? Money doesn't go with us when we die. Money doesn't even buy us happiness. But it can facilitate a dream, and DREAMS make us happy. Get it, tinker on it. Have fun with it. I think you'd be happy with your decision as long as you check it out first :D

·
Registered
708 Posts
Air cooled beetles are fun to drive. They lack the luxuries of the NB's. They are cheaper to repair and to maintain. Keep the oil changed, tuned up, and the valves adjusted and you'll be fine.
Just check for rust and check the floor pans for rot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Even at show room condition that price is high!!! There is a guy on utube that has 4 or 5 vids on how to buy an air cooled, what to look for ect. He is from Florida and reconditions the air cooleds. So I would google the topic and find it. I know this will help you in your quest for an old beetle. They are great cars,there is so much you can do with them. There is a forum, Supers Only, go there and ask some questions. These cars are for sale all over the country in mass quantities, research, research,research, don't buy in haste. You can buy a great super and still keep a good chunk of that 7k in your pocket. Good luck and good hunting, from the owner of an orange 72 super:D

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Check for rust being the number one thing to do first. Seen many Show Dubs that are ultimate machines, until you start checking.

Filler used instead of welding. Check the sub frame and chasis, check it's been treated. If all is well and good, check those fuel lines monthly !! Then check the fuel lines monthly !!

I'd join LaSamba or Volkszone and post this question if your seriously interested. As their the people who know. No doubt at '72 it has a history that can be traced back on there ;)

Good Luck :)

·
turbo
1,043 Posts
#1 thing right here...check for rust in the rocker channels. that is where the heat is routed so alot of moisture is introduced into that area and can cause rust. If you can weld floor pan sections are pretty easy to do. if you buy it and you can afford to do the work (mostly just parts) covert it to hydro lifters, you'll never have to adjust valves again...or at least as often as with the stock style. I have a 71 and although I am yet to drive it, it is a pretty fun time getting to to drivable condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts