VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem described below might be or additional diagnostic procedures I should try.

I am currently trying to diagnose an 8-amp parasitic draw on a 2006 Beetle. At first I thought it was a bad diode in the Alternator, so I removed the alternator and had it rebuilt. After installing the rebuilt alternator, I still have the draw.

I have to disconnect fuses 2, 4, and 5 from the fuse box on top of the battery and unplug the big 3-pin connector from the back of the same fuse box to get the draw to go away. If I connect any 1 of those 4 connections, the entire 8-amp draw comes back.

I have wiring diagrams for the fuse boxes, but no other wiring diagrams.

The fuses in question are for the alternator (fuse 5), the contact relief relay J39 (fuse 4), whatever that is, and the fuel pump relay J17 (fuse 2). I do not know what the 3 pin connector on the back of the fuse box is connected to or what it is for.

I think the above test results point to all those circuits have a common path to ground, but I would think there would have to be significant damage to multiple wires and/or electrical components for that to be the case. However, without circuit diagrams, I cannot be certain. :confused:

While installing the alternator, I found that the insulation was damaged on the main wire connected to the back of the alternator. I think that break was in a location that would make it unlikely for the wire to short to ground, but I repaired the insulation using multiple layers of liquid electrical tape covered with heat shrink tubing.

I am doing this work as a favor for a friend, who cannot afford to buy the Bentley manual to get the wiring diagrams. So far, I have not been able to find the wiring diagrams anywhere else for a price my friend could afford, but I will look around some more.

I did both a voltage drop test and a fuse pulling test on each of the fuses in the main fuse box (the one built in to the left side of the dash) and found no circuits in that fuse box contributing to the current draw.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
Is there any non stock accessories installed on the car? The stereos and amplifiers; seem to be the most common parasitic draws we see, on these cars.

There are free online service manuals here:

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

The vw track style wiring diagrams; can be harder to understand then a typical wiring diagram. The Haynes and Chilton manuals, have redrawn simpliified wiring diagrams; which are easier to follow (these are about $20 from most auto parts stores or online from amazon). I have noticed many public libraries, will give you free access to Chilton service manuals accessable online through their internet portals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts