NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought with this being ten years down the road someone should start a thread for this solemn day.

Not really what this thread should entirely be about, it's a rough subject I just figure I'll share my story and if any others feel the same well then you know how to.

I personally didn't lose anyone I knew on this day ten years ago. I just remember waking up to my mom practically grabbing me out of bed, it was around the time I usually got up for school 7:30am confused by why she did I followed her to her bedroom and saw what had happened on the news. I didn't know what to think or how to feel and I didn't know what to say. After I had seen what happened not really being able to comprehend what had happened I got ready for school and once I got there all the kids were talking about it. Once we got into class though the teacher wouldn't let us talk about it. Which really brought on the tone of how serious it was. Anyways I got home from school and was able to figure everything out, up until this point it had just been chaos trying to know what happened. So the next day I can't really remember who's idea it was but me and a few of the other kids in my family went around our neighborhood collecting donations until it was dark out. By the end of the night we ended up collect around $395 we then split it up and took it to school to donate the next day. Really the only time I've ever done something like that in my life.

With it being ten years really made me start thinking a lot about that day.
My condolences to the families who lost loved ones and my respect to our heroes for that day.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
We will never forget!!

I will always remember where I was and who I was with that day.

I remember watching the T.V. and thinking this can not be real.

I will always have a hole in my heart for all those people who died that day, as well as their family's and loved ones.

I will also always remember how this country stood together after this tragedy. Rich or poor, black or white, we all were affected by this cowardly act.

I will always remember.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I will never forget that day but the thing that sticks most vividly in my memory were the silent skies for days afterwards. I live near 2 very busy airports and was a flyer myself at the time. That odd silence in the air and no con trails in the sky was what I remember most.

·
Fiona's proud mom <3
4,672 Posts
I will always remember that morning...

It was about 6 am on the 2nd day of my 8th grade school year when the phone rang, my alarm was set to go off at 6:30 to get up and get ready for school. The person on the other end was my grandma, she never gets up that early in the morning so I knew something major was going on and she told us to turn on the tv to any channel. I had no clue what was going on, we turned on the tv and couldn't believe our eyes, my stepdad thought it was a movie or something, I did not know what the WTC was, all I knew is that there were A LOT of people in those buildings, it was terrifying and I lived in CA. I was afraid they would come to Los Angeles. When I got to school my first period teacher had the TV on and we watched it for a little while, then went on with our class. We had a moment of silence that day, I just so happened to be outside during PE when one girl was crying her eyes out, it was so sad.

I still think about that day all the time, my heart breaks for those who lost loved ones. They are in my thoughts and prayers always.

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
I will never forget that day but the thing that sticks most vividly in my memory were the silent skies for days afterwards. I live near 2 very busy airports and was a flyer myself at the time. That odd silence in the air and no con trails in the sky was what I remember most.
Definately, the silence is what sticks out for me too. I could not believe how quiet it was. Then when I heard a national guard jet, I jumped. What a horrible day. Even thought it happened so far away from me, it affected me deeply. There was no way I could detach myself from this. No way on earth.

Not only New York, Washington DC, and Shanksville PA were attacked, the whole Free World was attacked.

Attachments

·
That Crazy Belgian Guy
2,816 Posts
Even for us, Europeans, 9/11 is a day that we will never forget...

I remembet that morning very well. I couldn't believe my eyes.
The images of the planes hitting the building, pffff, it gave me the chills all over. I never before had that feeling.

Maybe it hit me more because I was there only a few months before, in April. I visited the WTC. I remember the people downstairs where you had to purchase your ticket, I remember the guy in the elevator, I remember the lady that cleaned the floor and said 'good morning gentlemen' to me and my friend.
I could put a face to the death toll. Well, I don't know for sure of course, but there is a chance those people didn't live the end the day....

I hope we never again have to endure a 9/11.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
I'm with John on one of the unforgettable moments. At that time of my job, a few days after 9/11, I was delivering on Jacksonville's north side, where our Int'l airport is. As I drove to my stops around the airport, the silence was eery- moreover it was chilling to the core, realizing why our skies went silent.

There's so many memories of the actual day itself- so many that I could fill several pages on this thread.

Memories of how crisp and chilly the day was- a beautiful September day. I remember delivering in an raggedy ol '81 Mercedes Benz delivery truck, with a pocket AM radio, McGyver'd in the cab, to listen to my morning news-talk. I'll never forget hearing the news over that little AM radio, only to go into my next stop, the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club to watch the tragedy on TV with the employees. I remember pulling from the TV, on my way back to my delivery truck, only to worry about a dear friend of mine, who's son did contract work at WTC. I called Faye to see if she got a hold of her son; thankfully, there assignment that day wasn't at WTC. I remember right after that call receiving a call from Val's work, where she was having a panic attack over me... at the time, my Tuesday deliveries also included a good amount of time @ NAS JAX- the Navy base. Val felt that our military bases were the next in line for attack. I had the chance to talk to her and ease her fears, for I had no deliveries at the base that day.

I'll never forget the anguish I felt over the thousands of lives lost; the feelings of total numbness, to holding back tears, to flat out crying over those lost. I'll never forget in my moment of grief, the pride over our first responders who went into flaming towers, when others were making their exit.

Even in the midst of our greatest tragedy, the evil, non-human act of terrorism, could not tear down our country or the strength we possess.

I'll never forget.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sad day, today. Watching and remembering...

May all of our heroes rest in peace.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Its hard to believe 10 years have passed. I will certainly never forget it.

I was in 9th grade and we were on a field trip at a local state park for some enviromental thing or something. It was an all-day event, and we were just finishing up the first half of the day when they said we had to end the trip and go back to school. They refused to tell us why. All we knew was that a plane had crashed in New York, but that's all they would tell us. We were all confused as to why a plane crash would cause us to go home. We got back to school and were stuck in the auditorium until our buses came. I heard a little more about it on the way home, but I didn't really know what happened until I got home and my mom was in tears in the livingroom. It took me awhile to really comprehend what happened and the significance of it. I didn't really know much about the WTC and I had never been there.

We lived in Annapolis so we had the Naval Academy and NSA near us, so there was a big fear that since the Pentagon was hit, one of those might be too. There are also a lot of people who work in DC and such that live in Annapolis so school was out for a few days. I just remember watching the news all day long and just unable to even really comprehend what happened. It didn't hit home until I called my best friend. Her mom worked for the NSA but was at the Pentagon that day. Hearing my best friend crying on the phone because she couldn't get in touch with her mom was just heartbreaking. Luckily, her mom was alright. But it was awhile before she knew. We then realized that my cousin worked in the WTC. My aunt couldn't get in touch with him. He went to breakfast that morning with some coworkers and was going in late to work so he wasn't in the building.

I think the moment that will stick with me the most, was the first day back to school after it all happened. We had a moment of silence during morning announcements and several people just started crying in class. I tear up just thinking about it now.

Everyone has their own experiences and memories, but we all are affected in some way. Oddly enough, my now husband was on the same field trip as I was that day, we just didn't really know each other at the time. It was interesting to talk to him about it and see how everything happened for him that day, as I knew we were in the same place but I had no idea what he experienced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts