NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least in the Midwest, that is. I would have thought the opposite would occur, at least for now with the 2012s coming. I'm in a rather unique position, as per my wife's "orders."

I have a 2007 Passat with a KBB Trade-In value of $11000. i also owe $3000 in principal on it. I have 8 months left @$387 a pop. My wife wants no more money to be spent if I get a used Beetle, so this essentially means I have to look at NBs priced at $11,000 or less. On top of this, a dealer has already told me that KBB figures are "high." They were only going to show me $10K for the Passat. I call BS.

But,....and at any rate, $11,000 used to equate to a Beetle about 4-5 years old with 40-50K miles. Now, that price range is bringing up very few with that age & mileage. Most have upper 60s-low 70s miles. It's far worse in the 8-9K price range, where most Beetles have well over 100K miles..

And for whatever reason, the most common color of used NBs is silver. Has anyone else noticed this? Why is that?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I think its more of the fact that the used car market is hot right now. Heck, I found dealers asking $5500+ for '99's similar to mine. I think the lowest I found was $4900. Are they really worth that? Probably not, but the used car market dictates that they are. KBB is also usually fairly accurate for newer cars, low values for older. NADAGuide is a better gauge on what the cars are worth...tends to take popularity and such into account (TDI and special edition car values are much more accurate on NADA I found in my searching for a value on my car and for a new car). Of course, that's for private party. When I was at Carmax, they were wanting only $1-2k less than brand new for Civics and the like that were 2, 3, 4 years old. Its nuts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in new mexico, bugs (98-2003) with more than 100k miles go for at least $9k. Because of the desert sun, the paint on these used bugs are very faded, with clear coats peeling as if they were lizards.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:eek:
Here in new mexico, bugs (98-2003) with more than 100k miles go for at least $9k. Because of the desert sun, the paint on these used bugs are very faded, with clear coats peeling as if they were lizards.
I can believe the paint-fading issues down there. I was in Roswell for the 2011 NB convention this past June, and one day, it was 112 degrees and the UV transmission had to be 10 plus! :eek:

·
rawr
36 Posts
I searched autotrader.com for beetles here in Massachusetts and came across prices ranging from $4,000-$10,000 for '98 to '05. You really don't find them much lower...

Even my 2001 GLS brought me an almost $5,000 book value (with 189,904 miles on the odometer)

·
Registered
84 Posts
At least in the Midwest, that is. I would have thought the opposite would occur, at least for now with the 2012s coming. I'm in a rather unique position, as per my wife's "orders."

I have a 2007 Passat with a KBB Trade-In value of $11000. i also owe $3000 in principal on it. I have 8 months left @$387 a pop. My wife wants no more money to be spent if I get a used Beetle, so this essentially means I have to look at NBs priced at $11,000 or less. On top of this, a dealer has already told me that KBB figures are "high." They were only going to show me $10K for the Passat. I call BS.

But,....and at any rate, $11,000 used to equate to a Beetle about 4-5 years old with 40-50K miles. Now, that price range is bringing up very few with that age & mileage. Most have upper 60s-low 70s miles. It's far worse in the 8-9K price range, where most Beetles have well over 100K miles..

And for whatever reason, the most common color of used NBs is silver. Has anyone else noticed this? Why is that?
Yes they are!! Just drove by a dealership in Bloomington, IL and stopped in to see the bug they have in front. It's a 2008 with 50,000 some odd miles and they are asking $22,000 for it!!!!
I got my 2006 with 68,000 on it for $12,995!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's the economy and pent-up poverty. Used cars are in higher demand because folks can't (or don't want to) buy new cars... less debt.

There's also a trick dealers play to suspend disbelief that business is not doing well. Mark-up every new car then drop the price closer to MSRP during negotiation to give the impression the buyer is getting a deal. A local VW dealer I visited yesterday is running this ploy. The Beetle Turbo Launch Edition is marked up $10,000 and the sales guy said they'll let it go for $3,000 over MSRP. My response is "I also like Mini".

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It's not really a ploy. It's all about supply and demand. The aforementioned Launch Edition is in very limited supply. Some people will pay this premium to be the first to own one. Going to be interesting to hear what all the Orgers who reserved the right to purchase one will end up paying. If they will be candid about it as some refused to acknowledge this would happen. Suspect many will pass and be waiting for refunds. High end, low production cars always command premiums early in the model year, $10k over is not unusual, with exotics it can run tens of thousands of dollars. All about the love affair with the automobile!

As to the $3k v. $10k thing, it's all salesperson talk until a manager countersigns you're offer. The price is also pumped up so there is room to give the uneducated, ignorant, Buyer an inflated amount for his/her trade. A part of the discount on the new car is always applied to the value of the trade-in so ppl don't feel insulted. Always deal on a "no trade" basis. And, cintrary to popular belief, cash does not talk, Dealers and Salespeople receive rebates (commisions, kick-backs) for financing written by the Dealership.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after a few looks at used NBs out there and seeing some late-models (08 and up) that are priced HIGHER than the new 2012 2.5 model, I've reluctantly (or fortunately; however you look at it), decided to wait until after the upcoming winter season to try to spring this on my wife again.

In 23 years of marriage, she has objected to my idea of getting a different car every time except once, when I had a real clunker, a 1983 Chevette. Thus, this has never been an easy task. In this case, many people think I'm nuts for wanting to trade in my 2007 Passat.

But.....ever since Roswell, I've become a confirmed "water-cooled" Beetle guy. Whether one owns a 98-10 or 12+, this is a very unique and special community. Now, after finally seeing a 2012 in person, I'm back to wanting one badly. And right now, VW even has a 2.9%, 60 month term offer on them! Of course, that doesn't phase the wife, so I may end up having to revert to my original plan of saving cash over 3-4 years to avoid the monthly payments that freak her out.

I hate waiting. When I want something, I want it now, not 4 years from now. But at this point in time, I have no choice. At least I have a 2000 GLS free and clear.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
LMFAO! I learned to just show up with 'em, and fade the heat! Of course then she started doing the same thing! LMFAO some more!

M.

·
Registered
228 Posts
High end, low production cars always command premiums early in the model year, $10k over is not unusual, with exotics it can run tens of thousands of dollars.
Yeah, Ferrari and Lamborghini love touting new models as being completely sold out even before production start... one would assume there is high demand. Reality is they are ordered up by dealerships, with few actual customers taking delivery. Rest sit in showrooms.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing I will attempt to propose (but I doubt it will fly) is this: Right now, you can also lease a Base 2012 for $229 x 36 mos, (TT&L takes this to $241) and then buy it at the end for $12k and change. Assuming I'll get screwed on the KBB trade value of my Passat and they show me $10,000 instead of the 11K it's really worth, I could still get this lease payment down to about $160. I'm saving much more than that in cash each month, anyway, so after 3 years, I could buy the Beetle at residual value for outright cash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm really really interested to have my very own classic beetle but some of the people I know who have this are not interested to sell their classic beetle. I'm willing to take out personal loans just to afford a classic beetle. I love this car because it's really stylish and affordable and according to some studies beetle is the auto most likely to be purchased by women. Personally I love it because it fits the description of what women want in a car, I really love it.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I'm really really interested to have my very own classic beetle but some of the people I know who have this are not interested to sell their classic beetle. I'm willing to take out personal loans just to afford a classic beetle. I love this car because it's really stylish and affordable and according to some studies beetle is the auto most likely to be purchased by women. Personally I love it because it fits the description of what women want in a car, I really love it.
Speaking of classic beetles I recently found out VW was making the classic up until around 2005 in Mexico. I just cannot believe I cannot find a late model classic beetle on autotrader ANYWHERE when VW was pumping them out by the thousands just across the border from Texas.

I want to find a classic beetle that would actually be NEWER than my new beetle! Beetle lovers in the states HAD to take a trip across the border to buy classics for cheap right? Apparently none exist.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Those Mexican Air-Cooleds didn't make it across the Border for the same reason they weren't sold on this side. They did not comply with US safety (air bags, side crash protection, etc) and environmental standards. Any time a vehicle is brought from a foreign counrty (manufacturer, dealer, or individual, that does not meet US standards it must be brought up to those standards. The required work can be done in this country, but a bond must be posted to guarantee compliance. Most, because of structural considerations and/or monetary costs can never be brought into compliance. This is the reason so many cars never make it to the US market. I'm sure Canada has similar requirements.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
They stopped in 2003. There are a few that made it over, but of course, they are grey market. I saw a '98 a number of years ago in person, and I know I've seen a 2000 for sale online or something at one point.

One thing to remember though is the 25 year rule here. Any car over 25 years old can be imported without crash testing, etc. so we're sitting at cars 1986 and older right now. I'm sure its still a bit of a hassle to import cars under that, but much, much less of trying to get one newer over here legally. Canada has a 15 year rule there so they get cool imported stuff before us :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well SB, I learned something (actually two things) today, thanks Darlin'! Didn't know about the 25/15 rules, figured there was something, but didn't know what.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I'm not entirely sure of the process, but I do know that it exists. There is usually a thread about car importation over at The Car Lounge once a month or so (usually relating to someone wanting to bring a very new car over).

My husband has a few cars on his list of cars in a few years once the 25 year limit is up. We'll see if any of it becomes reality (I want a nice aircooled bug first :p)

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I learned something too, thanks :)

I was discussing the Mexico Beetles with my co-worker and he said I should drive down to Mexico and buy one and replace the VIN with a old one from a junk yard to apply for the tag with. He chuckled that who would ever think that a classic beetle is a 2002 and not a 1978 or older as the VIN would show.

I could apply for a antique state tag on a 2002, lol at the thought.

Before I did the reading up on them I would never in a million years think a classic beetle passing me would be anything newer than a 70s model.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts