NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the site.

So i have a 98 beetle that had a bad fuel pump. I changed the pump with a OEM one and made sure the fuses and relay where all good. When putting the car in to accessory mode i can hear the pump priming but i'm not getting any fuel when i check the fuel rail lines. Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be clogged? Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,097 Posts
How old is your fuel filter?

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
How much fuel is in the tank; what brand, fuel pump did you buy? Are the fuel lines; hooked up correctly? If you get them connected backwards; the car won't start and no fuel will come out of the line (return, instead of the feed fuel line).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much fuel is in the tank; what brand, fuel pump did you buy? Are the fuel lines; hooked up correctly? If you get them connected backwards; the car won't start and no fuel will come out of the line (return, instead of the feed fuel line).
Fuel tank is nearly full. Its a OEM pulled from a known working beetle. I don't think i mixed up the lines, but if there is a photo of the line orientation i would love to see it.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Hmm, a used fuel pump, could definitely be suspect; I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what the pressure is. You typically, can rent a fuel pressure test kit; from many auto parts stores for free. You could test both the return and feed or what you think is the right one. A used fuel pump is suspect and there different types, part numbers, over the years; have you confirmed, that the pump is the correct one? If you decide to replace it with a new one; stick with VDO or Bosch, VDO, makes them for VW and we have found many aftermarket ones, to not work correctly or prematurely fail.

You might post the part number; of the new/used pump and confirm, it is the right one.

The VW parts site; lists this as the correct part #, for currently made replacement fuel pumps;

Part Number: 1J0919087J
Supersession(s): 1J0-919-087-J; 1J0919087H

Pump. Fuel. And Sender Assembly. Electric. Module.
This Fits Your 1998 Volkswagen Beetle Base Hatchback 2.0L A/T

1J0919087J Product Image

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Fuel pump relay #409 @ location #4:

Fuel pressure specs and testing procedures:

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Any results from testing done? Any VW/Audi or VDO logos; then, possible VW or other part numbers on the top of the pump? Ultimately, you need to confirm; that it is working, a fuel pressure test kit, would be the next thing to try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Any results from testing done? Any VW/Audi or VDO logos; then, possible VW or other part numbers on the top of the pump? Ultimately, you need to confirm; that it is working, a fuel pressure test kit, would be the next thing to try.
I see a audi and vw logo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question. I noticed that the gas tank was filled to the top when changing the fuel pump. Could this damage the pump?

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
So, you mean a full gas tank or overfull? Did it come out; when you removed the old pump? In general, the pump would be ok but overfilling, has a tendency to affect the charcoal canister and clog up the gas/evap venting system, which can can, cause problems filling up the tank or throw a trouble code, for the evap system. If the venting or canister gets clogged; it will act like it is full, when you try to fill up, at the gas station (pressure will kick off the pump; like you have a full tank).

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

A crank sensor being bad; could kill the ignition spark, have you checked for spark?
Yeah, used starting fluid and it started up for a sec.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
If you end up needing a pump; the Bosch versions, are probably the best bang for the buck for a oem pump, comes with tank seal and fuel tank sending unit.

Bosch Part Number:
This part compatible with:
1998 Volkswagen Beetle L4 2.0L

1 - 20 of 74 Posts