NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
UPDATE: Ive changed the valve cover gasket and got a new oil pan. Interestingly, the oil pan that was on had a oil level sensor that wasnt being used. I think it was leaking from there. I got a new to me oil pan without that hole/sensor. I also swapped the oil filler and the hose that you suggested. Started the car for a few minutes and no oil leaked on the ground! Fingers crossed. I still have to run the car longer to see what happens but i have high hopes. I also want to check the ATF but have seen its a bit of a process. Might have to check out that front crank seal.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
As far as i know, most VW's didn't have the oil level sensor (maybe Passat?; which was essentially a rebadged low spec Audi)) but many Audi's did, maybe someone installed a used oil pan?

Sounds good so far: you might degrease and pressure wash the engine bay, to make it easier, to see anymore oil leaks.

Good work, keep is posted; on anymore developments. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So i got around to cleaning it today. Let the engine bay dry then turn it on and let it run for about 20-25 minutes. It still seems to be burning oil. Its coming from the area pictured. Does anyone notice anything i cant?

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Is there a oil leak? If you are having a hard time; pinpointing the source of the leak, a uv dye leak detection kit, could help. Some kits aren't that much or some auto parts stores, offer a rental kit for free:

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
Is there a oil leak? If you are having a hard time; pinpointing the source of the leak, a uv dye leak detection kit, could help. Some kits aren't that much or some auto parts stores, offer a rental kit for free:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Im unsure. I didnt see any new oil. It might be old oil dropped behind the engine. How long does oil take to burn off?

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
A heavily caked up oily engine; can take awhile to burn off, especially after major gasket replacements like a valve cover (oil tends to get on the exhaust manifold). Did you take it out; for a decent test drive, go drive it and get it hot on the highway, should burn off in a decent drive or maybe several days, if pooled up oily residue, is still somewhere.

Good work; you are making major progress! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
A heavily caked up oily engine; can take awhile to burn off, especially after major gasket replacements like a valve cover (oil tends to get on the exhaust manifold). Did you take it out; for a decent test drive, go drive it and get it hot on the highway, should burn off in a decent drive or maybe several days, if pooled up oily residue, is still somewhere.

Good work; you are making major progress! :)
I feel stupid. Had a mechanic come over and explained it to him. We let the car run for longer and the smoke stopped... lol But he did say the engine sounded good and noted my starter was going out. So i guess thats my next project.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
So, how are things running? If the starter makes a high pitched squeal sound; after starting up the engine, that is because the bendix, is sticking from the dust of the clutch builds up (makes things sticky). Fixing up oil leaks and getting a leak free engine, clean, running well... really make you feel better! There is nothing more annoying, then burning oil smell; that gets sucked into the plenum and through your vents, into the car (plus, it is unhealthy; make you feel sick!). :) Good work: you have made allot of progress! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have to drive it around and see. As for the starter, yeah it makes a squeel sometimes but also feels like its getting weak and fails to turn the engine over sometimes. It could also be that my battery is low.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I had a extra oem MAF that was thrown in with the car lol. Next I’m still going to throw in a starter since it makes that squeal when starting.

Going to buy a timing belt and water pump and have a professional mechanic install it since I feel I’m not up for that job.

There’s more to do but one thing at a time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok im back with a update. Changed the starter yesterday. Squeal is gone :) But im still getting a issue where it wont start instantly. Takes about 4 to 5 key turns for it to start up. But after i let it run for a while the car starts up instantly after hot. Any ideas on what it could be? I have new plugs and cables im going to put in soon.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I have seen long start ups; in two different new beetles and in both cases, the check valve in the fuel pumps were bad. This can be checked by running a fuel pressure test and check the residual pressure, when the engine is turned off. The pressure should be maintained but in both cases; they immediately went to zero. A replacement oem quality fuel pump (VDO or Bosch); fixed the issue. Other things to check, would be the rubber seals at the fuel tank locking ring and gas cap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I have seen long start ups; in two different new beetles and in both cases, the check valve in the fuel pumps were bad. This can be checked by running a fuel pressure test and check the residual pressure, when the engine is turned off. The pressure should be maintained but in both cases; they immediately went to zero. A replacement oem quality fuel pump (VDO or Bosch); fixed the issue. Other things to check, would be the rubber seals at the fuel tank locking ring and gas cap.
Dam... Those aren't cheap...i just changed the fuel pump to.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
The pump you swapped in; was it new or used; what brand was it? Rent a fuel pressure test kit, from your local auto parts store and confirm, running and residual fuelpressure (no cost).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
The pump you swapped in; was it new or used; what brand was it? Rent a fuel pressure test kit, from your local auto parts store and confirm, running and residual fuelpressure (no cost).
Was a used oem unit. im going to double check the fuel system when doing the spark plugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
While i wait for my fuel pressure tester to come in the mail (I want to have the tools for future projects) I'm just looking over a few things. Could it be a vacuum leak? The engine wont catch on the first crank. Could it be old gas? I have a couple of 409 relays i could swap out and see if that does anything.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts