VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! New to the forums, but not new to forums in general!

When trying to start my 1998 Beetle 2.0l 5-speed, I at times have problems getting it to crank over. I can hear the fuel pump initiating and the starter tries to start to car, but the car fails to start and usually takes 2 or 3 times before it'll turn over. Sometimes it'll start on the first try... When it tries to start, it's like it wants to start but just chokes out and dies. Once started the car runs perfect. Any suggestions? I replaced the upstream o2 sensor and the ignition coil pack, plugs, and wires so far. Really don't want to stranded in a parking lot due to the one day it doesn't turn over! Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
First, you might do a fresh scan and see if there are any trouble codes. Fuel delivery problems; are a known issues, as long as the starter motor is turning over as it should. A quick shot of starter fluid; could be tried and see if it makes a difference or do a fuel pressure test, to confirm the problem.

When my fuel pump was failing; I had a hard start problem, that became worse as time went on. I noticed, if I cycled the key (off/on) a number of times; it was easier to start, as that got the fuel pressure up to where it should be. When tested, it turned out the internal check valve was bad and could not maintain residual pressure (thus the hard start issues). Like your car, when running; the fuel pressure was fine and in spec.

If you decide to replace the fuel pump; be sure to get a high quality oem VDO or Bosch part. Do not get a typical fuel pump from most auto parts stores; they prematurely fail and cause all kinds of drivability problems.

Yu can look up the correct part number here; be sure to match it with your correct engine code:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/

Here are the service manual procedures for a fuel pressure test:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...essure_vacuum_and_temperature_specifications/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only code I'm getting is for a bad CAT... I believe it's P0420 or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Sorry if this seems to be a thread jack but I thought it would be better than starting a new thread for a similar or the same issue:

My daughter's car (98 2.0) has the starting issue ONLY when you put gas in it. Starts perfectly any other time. The gas cap is pretty new so I don;t THINK it's that but who knows.

Anyone heard of this?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
N80 valve (evap purge valve) can cause issues starting after fueling up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts