VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing my fuel pump in my 98 beetle (same pump ,I cleaned the gas tank ) my car started fine and drove for about a day after that it won’t start now and it’s not getting gas to the engine yet I hear everything turning on when I turn the key ? So what could be causing this … also when starting the car (attempting to) the battery area of my engine bay (under the battery tray ) started smoking .. also unknown as of why …. And after trying to start the car for about 20 mins my oil light sometimes starts blinking … does anyone have any information on this

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a chance you stirred up some gunk that clogged the fuel filter.

I don't know what could be smoking under your battery or why your oil light is blinking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No chance , I wiped out the gas tank when I cleaned it also I emptied the fuel pump of all gas when I took it out as well

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
The smoking, seems odd; you may, be having some electrical issues, from where the smoking is coming from? Around that area, is where the starter is; if you doing extended starter acuation, it can get, VERY hot and start smoking, if there is oil on it, gunky dirt, etc. and it is old.

The oil light blinking, can happen; when you try a extended starter actuation and give you a false positive.

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
The basics to successfully start a engine: fuel, compression and ignition spark!

As to the gas tank, fuel filter and fuel pump issues; what brand, specifically, did you buy and was there any debris, inside you gas tank? What did you use; to clean out the tank, what cleaner or liquid did you us, if any and what sort of rags or towels, did you use... were they lint free? Did you replace the fuel filter and was any testing done?

We have seen problems, using lower quality aftermarket fuel pumps; the only ones, we have seen work correctly, are high quality oem Bosch and VDO fuel pumps. The cheaper pumps, are a ongoing problem on this site; people buy new aftermarket pumps, install them and their cars run horribly. Many, are defective, right out of the box and brands, that are particularly notorius are Airtex and the O'REilly's house brand, Import Direct (both have been defective; out of the box, installed by members on this site).

First, if you have a scan tool; I would start with a scan for trouble codes. Post any you find and we can see what they are, note any that could cause a starting issue.

Another common problem, is the throttle body can lose its settings and a proper cleaning, throttle body alignment, can resolve that issue.

Then, I would do a proper fuel pressure test and confirm, the fuel pump is working well and the locking ring is tighten correctly, the fuel pressure is in spec.

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
These are free online service manuals; no need to donate anything, just click outside the window and you will be at the manual page. There are more pages, keep clicking "next" to advance to the next page:

Fuel pressure spec and testing procedure:

Compression spec and testing procedure:

Let us know, the results of the scan for any trouble codes and the fuel pressure testing, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Oil light is the result of extended cranking. Smoking will be the starter or the fuse box on top of the battery, which are known to melt after getting hot and causing electrical problems.

Is the fuel pump an amazon/eBay special? If so you’ll likely need to buy an oem fuel pump and replace the chinesium version.

·
Registered
15,592 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts