NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 beetle that I have been having an issue with. I fixed a handful of things and cleared all my codes. I have since driven it several hundred miles in both town and highway. The car isnt throwing any check engine light, but the monitors wont progress past 4. It always says the same thing 4 ready 4 inc. I have cleared it and ran it many times since but still the same issue since June. I need 6 to get it inspected. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
readiness monitors. The computer has 8 monitors it's supposed to run, it must clear at least 6 to pass NYS inspection and it won't read past 4.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
What Emission Readiness Monitors are not clearing?

SAP and Evap are typically some of the last to clear.

Also you really need to find a scan tool that can read real time data and display coolant temperature and fuel trims. Coolant temp should run consistently 90-93C once warmed up.

I will tell you that many times lazy O2 sensors and cold running engines will hold up Readiness Monitors.

Also for the Evap to clear, best to have about 3/4 tank of fuel and do not fill up the car until close to empty and you WILL need at least 10 miles+ on the highway possibly after multiple colds starts.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
If you can find someone who has a vagcom, there's a procedure in the program that runs the car through all the tests that willhelp set everything ready. I had to do it with my cabrio, it took a few runs through, but it beats waiting days or more for the car t do it itself.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
readiness

It usually takes About 150-200 miles of driving to set the readiness monitors to clear to OK. Then if there still is a problem the check engine light will come on again. We don't know all the history of this car so my first guess is somebody could have rigged those systems just to clear the check engine light. I always just drive to clear mine since I do a lot of commute driving anyhow but it would be nice to know the vagcom procedure on setting readiness. Anybody have those procedures? step by step?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It usually takes About 150-200 miles of driving to set the readiness monitors to clear to OK. Then if there still is a problem the check engine light will come on again. We don't know all the history of this car so my first guess is somebody could have rigged those systems just to clear the check engine light. I always just drive to clear mine since I do a lot of commute driving anyhow but it would be nice to know the vagcom procedure on setting readiness. Anybody have those procedures? step by step?
Here a ya go: :D

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Readiness

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only code I was getting was a lean code. I have since replaced the fore o2 censor, the engine temp sensor and the fuel pressure sensor. I pulled the maf and cleaned it. I am going to replace the thermostat as well as the fuel pump I think. I cleared the codes and literally drove the car 600 miles since and still when I scan it it says 4 ready 4inc, I have a basic scanned that dosnt really give specifics so I dont know which monitors arnt clearing. I have owned this car for 6 years and this is a new problem. I am dreading going to a dealer but am running out of options, thats why I am replacing everything I can remotely think of because I am not paying someone else to guess.Is there a way to force it through all monitors with a better scanner ?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Readiness Monitors take different amounts of time to clear depending on the cars code history. It appears the ECU will keep tabs of recent codes and may delay clearing of the Readiness Monitors for items that were recently in an error state?

Sometimes clearing the codes multiple times, even if you do not have any present, will cause the Readiness Monitors to clear faster.

Most cars will clear the Readiness Monitors in under 50 miles if there are no underlying problems. Fill the car up to about 3/4 tank of fuel, do not start out with a full tank as the Evap will take much longer to clear, your fuel level WILL need to drop.

Cold starts, staying under 3k RPM drive normally for complete warm up, about 5+ miles if the thermostat is good. Include some stop and go traffic. Get up to 45+ MPH steady cruise for at least 7-10 miles. Likely you will need to repeat 2-3 times depending on the car.

I have a route that takes me out of my home, up a secondary road without traffic light for about 2 miles, then I can jump on the highway. Go a few exits then look back around. Again, you will likely need at least 2-3 cold start cycles intermixed as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
YOU THE MAN! I might just play with my VAG-COM tomorrow and "see what I can see". :banana: hope I don't screw things up :banghead:
The good news is that following their instructions, you can't screw anything up - at worst it just won't be "ready".

They are easy to follow.

BTW - new VAG-COM version just released today with some pretty cool enhanced features.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
A new version today? We just got our own VAG-COM for Christmas from the FIL (been using his when we needed it :p) and installed it a few days ago. Might have to check on that...

·
Registered
10 Posts
A new version today? We just got our own VAG-COM for Christmas from the FIL (been using his when we needed it :p) and installed it a few days ago. Might have to check on that...
Yup!
VCDS Version 11.11.05

Great for me as there is additional timing info, boost etc... for my 2010 Jetta Wolfie, but also some other items I have not fully explored.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The older cars were the worst, we used to have to drive the car at varying speeds and different temps to get the readiness code to set, while dragging around that stupid 1551 scan tool in the passenger seat. It was a total nightmare. When Volkswagen changed it to the new system where you could sit in the shop with an exhaust hose connected, it made it so nice.

You can't screw up the car by trying to set the readiness code, it is just a test of those components function. It would usually take about 5-15 minutes to set, way better than driving several days trying to meet every parameter.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
534 Posts
VCDS-Lite

I downloaded the lite version last night and ran a scan this morning with the engine off. Results: Chassis Type: 9C - VW New Beetle
Scan: 01,02,0308,15,17,19,22,25,26,29,35,37,39,46,54,56,65,75

End ------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try it with the engine running. BRB

·
Registered
534 Posts
Scary

I didn't like the idea of running the engine without the fans coming on so I quit before the complete autoscan finished.

I don't know how to use VCDS-Lite so I guess I'll look at the manual as the saying goes, "If all else fails, read the instructions."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts