NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 beetle (non abs) that has had an engine swap. donor car was a beetle s 1.8t (has abs). the cluster and ignition from the S were also installed. My question is can the ABS be written out of the ECU, it is causing my check engine light to come on and failing me at emissions testing. If the abs cannot be written out what would be my options as far as fixing this issue. thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
The ABS light will be on if there is an ABS issue. CEL will be for something else. Do you know what code(s) are coming up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealership did not post any codes on the write up, but here's what they did put in. has faults for no communication with the abs/tcm/airbag modules stored in the ecm. engine came from a later model with abs and an automatic transmission. the emissions testing center posted the same code twice whch is P0600. also they noted no mil at key-on-engine-off, which I do not understand since the cluster shows the mileage at all times. thanks.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The malfunction indicator lamp should come on when you turn the ignition on,and then goes away if there are no codes stored. If the malfunction indicator lamp does not illuminate when the key is put in the ignition and turned, then the bulb is burned out. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they put fail on that due to that fact that the previous owner put black tape over the check engine light as well as the abs indicator.... really all I'm looking to accomplish is get the check engine light to be off. the abs light being on doesn't bother me seeing as I know the car doesn't have abs and that would be the cause for the abs light to be on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are the codes a garage gave me.

17608 recirculating valve for turbocharger mechanical malfunction
17978 engine control module locked
18014 rough road spec engine torque antilock brake system-engine control unit
18034 powertrain databus missing message from transmission control module
18044 powertrain databus missing message from airbag control module
18057 powertrain databus missing message from antilock brake system control module.
the emissions testing center had 1 code show up twice p0600

I posted them all, airbags and ABS are low on priority, getting the CEL to go off is my main concern...thanks for the help with this issue!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I doubt of that check engine light will ever go off! :eek: You will probably have to put a piece of tape over it, and bring it over here to Granite Shoals to have the inspection sticker done. I know a guy over here, all you have to do is talk to him about fishing and he'll slap a sticker on anything! It's like he goes into lala land at the thought of reeling in a 30 pound blue cat out of the beautiful Lake LBJ. :rolleyes:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Was the ECU from the other car swapped in? If not, you will never get that light off. You need one that will work with that engine.

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
Was this just a straight across 1.8t to 1.8t swap?? If so , then most likely you could get a new ECU for your specific car . Not sure if it has to be programmed or if it comes with all the specific calibrations already on it . And it would have to be a new unit as they write the VIN numbers in the software . An old one will give you what you are encountering now already . If this was a swap from another engine to a 1.8t , then you will have to get a new ECU done up custom for your car . Not sure how you get that done .

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
So you swap to a 1.8T and then go to the dealer? Find a good aftermarket VW shop in your area and have them figure it out. You'll need to put the correct ABS control module for the options the car has to get that working right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Passat, the transmission module not found kept throwing the CEL on. Everyone told me the ecu"s are the same for a standard or auto, however that is not the case. Put in a standard car ECU problem solved no more cel for the transmission module.

·
Diesel Freak
596 Posts
Im assuming the problem lies in that this is an early 98 with no ABS at all originally. Thus it is freaking the new ECM out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you are correct about the abs, I've taken the car to multiple aftermarket vw shops, the last of which was able to get most of the coding corrected, ABS light isn't on anymore but the CEL is. the shop basically told me the light will never go off due to the car not having ABS (ABS is what is triggering the CEL). I'm assuming there's no way to trick the ECU around the ABS issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts