NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the help of The Cheat my 98 Beetle VR6 is underway! ill be posting pics and keeping you informed of wats goin on. if you have any questions feel free to ask. so heres the facts... Donor car is a 98 VW jetta GLX VR6 with a 5speed tranny. Project car is a 98 VW Beetle with a 2.0 5 speed tranny. i dont have many pics of the removal of the VR6 but im tryin to take lots of pics of everything else.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Beetle tear down :D:D!! just a lil hint its alot easier to remove the fenders and bumper as all one peice.;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_0321.jpg

While kyle is working on removing the motor i decided to start working on the wiring harness, cause i know its gonna b a long rocky road, and will prob take me the longest...

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

found a little friend. idk when he was there but im glad he wasnt home. lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

Out she comes.. after i got to looking im gonna use both the stock tranny mount and dog bone mount. it looks like they should bolt right up. but ima have to make a mount for the passenger side of the motor. im very handy with a welder! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in the back ground of the last pic u can see i have someone putting the new clutch on the VR6. i also got a new oil pump for it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMG_0340.jpg

This is what the beetle looks like after the fourth day of work. i have a total of 17 hours on the build so far. tomorrow i plan on working on switching the engine bay harnesses and im not looking forward to it at all!!:confused::confused:! ill be posting pics almost every day so keep checking in on wats goin on. any questions i will answer the best i can and all comments are appriciated. also if u have some knowledge that u think mite b helpful throw it my way.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Don't have any knowledge for ya, but I give you big props on this build. I have been dreaming about a VR6 swap since I got my first Beetle. Will be keeping a close eye and taking many notes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't have any knowledge for ya, but I give you big props on this build. I have been dreaming about a VR6 swap since I got my first Beetle. Will be keeping a close eye and taking many notes.
thanks! i wasnt too sure i wanted to take this task on at first but i talked myself into it. lol il tell u that its one hell of a learning experience!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesum

Cant say i have much knowledge in the volkwagons myself...But im sure it cant be that bad...But youve made some pretty good progress... I want to see final pictures... Im sure this beetle is going to run!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for bringing us along for the build. Too bad you didn't have a video archive. It would make for a good TLC/Speed Channel show:cool:!
ha ha yep no prob. one of the reasons i didnt originaly want to do this swap was because of the lack of specific information. ive only owned a vw for bout 3-4 months now so im still a tender foot. but i want to try to provide others with the info they need to do the swap themselves. also im doing it on a very low end budget! so far i mite have $850-$900 into it.
Jetta Vr6- $500
Clutch- $150
Oil Pump- $89
Axles seals, down pipe gaskets, air filter and crank breather- $82.

1 - 20 of 273 Posts