NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 98 TDI beetle. It took me quite a while to track down the correct fuel filter for it. It doesn't have the 'early 98' style that's sold by tdiparts.com, nor does it have the 'normal' A4 style with the removable T. It has a hard-plumbed T built in. From the looks of it, it may have been the original (the cabin filter had a '98 date stamp).

tdiparts.com couldn't locate one and 1stvwparts.com only lists the late A4 filter. My local german parts guy (Russ Motors in Pa.) was able to find it for me. It was the first one he ever sold.

What does everyone else with a 98 TDI do? I was thinking of upgrading to the removable T version so I could stock one filter for both the Beetle and Jetta, but those o-rings suck so much I like not having to worry about them.

Here's what it looks like:

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
the o-rings arent really that hard to deal with. just gotta be careful with them on install.

I would recommend upgrading to the normal one the rest of the mk4 cars get.

the tee is about $35 (one time charge) and the filters are about $20 each

was the filter you found out of an early IDI diesel? what was the part number on the replacement?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant to grab the part number off of the box, but I left it in the garage. I don't think it was the same as the older VW diesels because he mentioned that he had never sold one before.

I will grab the box and post the part number though.

Not having the T did make it a bit harder to swap out. I usually prefill the filter through the T hole. There's a little bleeder on this filter, but there's no way to pour anything into it. I just installed it and pulled vacuum on the outlet until fuel started to come out. Worked great.

So far I haven't had a problem with the T orings, but that's on my PD so it can't suck air. I'm still debating on installing the 'early 98' beetle filter into my Jetta. I could get rid of the thermostatic T completely with it. No need to buy the one that blanks it off.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Another option worth exploring is the CAT fuel filter mod. Not sure if the finer filter medium will cause problems with your generation fuel pump.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the o-rings arent really that hard to deal with. just gotta be careful with them on install.

I would recommend upgrading to the normal one the rest of the mk4 cars get.

the tee is about $35 (one time charge) and the filters are about $20 each

was the filter you found out of an early IDI diesel? what was the part number on the replacement?
I finally remembered to grab the information off of the filter:

Brand name is Hengst (german made), part number H125WK, replaces Mann WK 853/5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts