VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 with 139k. Just replaced the rad and she started but over heated, seems no fans working. I shut it down and re-started it after a couple of minutes & she started right up, let it run with the defrost on high then shut it down.

Y went to work on it today & no start. Vag-Com shows the following:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-018-AEG.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 018 AB
Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M5.9.2 HS V10
Software Coding: 00040
Work Shop Code: WSC 08261
VCID: 62C5A0F7EE8EB40EED3-4B18
5 Faults Found:

16806 - Main Catalyst; Bank 1
P0422 - 35-10 - Efficiency Below Threshold - Intermittent
17645 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30)
P1237 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17646 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 (N31)
P1238 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17647 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 3 (N32)
P1239 - 35-00 - Open Circuit
17648 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 4 (N33)
P1240 - 35-00 - Open Circuit

Readiness: 0000 0000

Ross Tech manual says:

Possible Symptoms

MIL On
Poor engine performance

Possible Causes

Fuse for injector
Wiring harness issue
Failed injector
Failed ECM

Possible Solutions

Inspect fuse for injector
Inspect wiring to and from injector, see repair manual
Ohm test injector, replace if needed, see repair manual

The car over heated ,it lost fluid maybe a quart or more.
The Batt was out too getting a charge & I didn't to any TBA or other adaptations because the car started right up after installing the rad.

Question is where is the fuse for the fuel injectors ?
Has anyone had all 4 injectors go open circut ?

Thanks

Bob.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The fuse for the injectors is number 32, 10 amps. Check and make sure the wiring harness around the injectors didn't get wet with coolant.

It is vital that the small hose that goes from the end of the head near the coolant flange to the throttle body and then on to the overflow tank be clear. If it is plugged air can't get out of the system and you won't be able to fill it. Leave the cap off and look in the tank for flow out of the hose. If you don't have any the problem is usually the at the barb on the head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks red.

I have flow into the tank. I had 1 of the 2 wire connector blocks just above the rad drain **** rubbing on the ring of the fan blade preventing it from turning.

As far as I can tell I have no spark, no injectors & I'm not sure if I can hear the fuel pump.

I have a bently for jettas & golfs but not the NB.

Thanks again.

Bob.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Spray a shot of brake cleaner or starting fluid into the intake, and see if it fires off for a second.
If it does you have spark and everything else, it's probably your fuel pump that is bad.
Then you can move on to fuel pressure testing. :)
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it started. I had removed fuse # 32 so I could remove the 1 next to it to see if it was good & then installed fuse #32 into the empty slot above it. Car started right up.

I charged the AC system & the fans kicked right in after enough of a charge to over ride the low pressure cut off switch.

Waiting for the engine to cool down so I can finish putting the last parts back in.

So far this year I've replaced the rad & the heater core & just ordered 1 of the O2 spacer to see if it will clear the P0422.

Car runs great for its age & miles. Oil change & reg maintenance & it'll last another 75K+ easy.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes on the fuse. Just labeled as engine gasoline. just got back from a quick run, heater & AC working like it should.

bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts