VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my car just got stolen a few days ago and I ended up buying a 98 2.0 to get to work. However dealing with some overheating issues. It only overheats when it's sitting, not moving. I found cooling fans would not come on even after it got past temperature. However when I jumpered the fans on, it stays at about 194 degrees. So I checked the fan control relays and those seem fine, I jumpered the fan coolant temp switch and the fans would start right up. So I replace the coolant temp switch with the new one. However even with the new temp switch the fans still don't come on even after the car overheats. Is there some reason why the fan switch may not be receiving the hot coolant? It appears the water pump is creating flow and it's a newer radiator. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
It could be air trapped in the cooling system is not allowing coolant flow into the radiator. If this doesn't happen the fans won't turn on. There are small hoses that goes from the cylinder head to the intake manifold and then from the intake manifold to the expansion tank (where the coolant cap is). These need to be clear to allow air to escape the cooling system. See this thread and the links in post #2:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/61058-overheating.html

It cold be a weak coolant pump as well. The original ones were plastic and disintegrate over time gradually reducing the effectiveness. Your timing belt should have been replaced long ago. Hopefully the coolant pump was replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
relays

hi, my car just got stolen a few days ago and I ended up buying a 98 2.0 to get to work. However dealing with some overheating issues. It only overheats when it's sitting, not moving. I found cooling fans would not come on even after it got past temperature. However when I jumpered the fans on, it stays at about 194 degrees. So I checked the fan control relays and those seem fine, I jumpered the fan coolant temp switch and the fans would start right up. So I replace the coolant temp switch with the new one. However even with the new temp switch the fans still don't come on even after the car overheats. Is there some reason why the fan switch may not be receiving the hot coolant? It appears the water pump is creating flow and it's a newer radiator. Any ideas? Thanks!
The thermol switch mounted on the radiator should have turned on the fans unless the power to it from the fuse box mounted on top of the battery is defective, like jensenchase said.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I thought it was for sure the FCM or thermo switch because I had just replaced the fan fuse, but it was a crappy fuse and melted causing my fans to not come on. It's probably the cheapest and easiest fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts