NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 NB that is having some shifter problems, can't shift into 1st/reverse. I have already replaced the plastic part that always breaks. that fixed it a bit. However it still doesn't really work. I tried adjusting the shifter cable but that also only slightly helps.

I think the main problem is with my shifter box/floor assembly. Im going to try to replace the whole thing since i can't seem to find anything through the 33 pages in the transmission forum and 150+ in the technical forums either.

So my main question is. Can i replace the assembly with a newer non-frankenstein mix up from a 2000+ NB? Any help would be greatly appreciated it. Or any other suggestions to try.

Side note. my shifter seems to be only have ride side play in neutral. You can't shake the whole shifter left to right like normal. its like the shifter is just stuck to the left side. I feel like this is probably the cause of the issue.

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
To change the shifter box, you have to change the shift tower in the transmission. Not a hard job to do at all, but finding parts can be a challenge. Look for transmissions with damaged cases that are for parts only.

If you want more info, let me know and I will get you more details.

Sent from my DROID2

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
I read on this site about a year or so ago; there is a plastic ring in the floor shifter housing that breaks and it then interferes with shifting; have you taken apart the floor housing to check it?

I was going to change mine but never got around to it and forgot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts