NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has decided to start but die as soon as you give it gas. What did possibly cause this? I used my code scanner and nothing popped up that would effect starting. The only thing my coffee scanner is saying needs attention effects emissions. I'm not going to worry about an emissions issue if it won't run because it's a ~$200 part assuming I fix it myself. The fuel pump, battery, and starter are all less than a year old. Any suggestions would be great.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,121 Posts
What code is coming up?

Definitely sounds like a fueling issue. How is your fuel filter? Have you checked the fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
13,419 Posts
Post any codes that you are getting. Hesitation and dying; has been a common issue with a dirty throttle body.

I would try cleaning the throttle body, replace the gasket and run the throttle body alignment procedure.

Beyond that, i would be checking the basics: fuel pressure, compression, spark plugs, maf readings, fuel trims etc.

We had another member with similar running, idle issues and starting problems. We went through a process of figuring things out and finally, he got his 98' new beetle with a 2.0L, running correctly! You might check out his thread for ideas and things to check:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts