VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Automatic. Runs in first couple gears fine. When revving up to shift to next gear (3rd or 4th, no idea) it will go up over 4k RPM and then hard shift around 4.2k RPM. If you get up to 3.9-4k RPM and let off gas slightly it shifts smoothly and you can give gas and keep going.

After that shift it won't shift again no matter the speed. Once you get it up to about 60 MPH, it's running about 4.5-5k RPM. I know this can't be normal. I hate to try and drive over 55-60 MPH because of this. For in town, it still works perfect up to 45 MPH.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
Have you scanned for codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not yet. Buying a scanner tomorrow to look and see if there are any. There are no check engine lights or anything though.

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
You will need a vw specific scan tool; to scan for codes and view live data.

Cheaper options could be Obdeleven or the Chinese knockoff "VAG" scanners on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
There are cheaper options; vcds is the top tier tool, obdeleven is android based and then, there are other handheld vag scanners, as well.

Viewing live data, is really helpful; to diagnose things and live data, can help you "see" if things are working as they should. The cost of a VW specific scan tool, should be kept in perspective; a basic diagnostic; flat diagnostic fee,from a professional VW or trans shop is going to probably be at least $100-$200.

Having your own vw factory level scan tool; may enable you to diagnose the issue yourself and you would need this tool, to complete, say doing a valve body swap and fluid filter change yourself. He's keep you on your toes and require consistent maintenance and repairs, a VW scan tool will really help you and save you thousands of dollars, by enabling you, to do your own repairs

Any shifting problems are fixed by having rebuild or replaced; worst case scenario, if there is internal dMage: the transmission will need to be pulled, fully disassembled, all parts inspected, bad or worn parts replaced, valve body repaired and overall, the trans fully rebuilt.

After 23 years of use and substantial mileage; you are going to have to expect them to have shifting issues and need repairs.

Let us know: are you going to do repairs yourself or have a professional shop do it for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will look into one of those options probably. I plan on doing repairs myself. I have prior experience with most jobs in the shop. Just don't work in one anymore with the benefit of having a shop scanner. I also don't really have any experience on VW's. Most is on domestic vehicles.

I planned on doing a transmission filter and fluid change this week regardless. I was going to use a digital thermometer off my multimeter to get fluid temp when I refill.

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
If you are a former tech with transmission experience; you might start researching things for the 01M trans installed in your 98' model. These were made by the oem Aisin for VW.

Service manuals

1 - 11 of 11 Posts