VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those that drive me nuts.
I replaced the starter on my wife's 99 beetle and since then it runs but too rough to drive. Here are some things that might help diagnose it. The codes it throws are misfire on 1 and 3. (It also had those codes before the starter replacement but it didn't run rough except when it rained).
The battery was out of it for a couple days. Not sure it matters but I'm used to working on older us cars and this ain't no ford. I also looked for anything I might have left unplugged but don't see anything. With out removing the battery tray again. Man that was a pain. I did replace the coil pack because of the misfire when it rains but that didn't fix it. When I press on the gas it spits and sputters, as I lift up it revs up a bit. So that's as much as I have noticed. I'm not sure if anyone one can help based on this but I would sure appreciate it.
Ken.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Running rough; "after it rains" is a classic sign of a cracked coil pack. Check out this thread; for testing and replacement info. If you replace it; DO NOT buy a cheap aftermarket version, get high quality oem ELDOR, Bosch, other oem brands or a genuine VW part. Stay away; from typical auto parts stores "house brands" and junk like URO and Hamburg Technic, which are cheap Chinese parts masquerading as quality German brands.

VWVortex.com - DIY/Troubleshooting - Coil pack on 2.0 AZG, AVH, BEV, or BBW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you had the battery out for a couple of days, the computer has likely lost its memory. You'll likely need to do a throttle body adaptation.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/58671-throttle-body-wont-adapt.html
Thank you I was wondering if the no batt was the problem. I will look into this. Do you know if I need some special tools for this?

It looks like I can download software (I think it's free) then I need a obd2 to USB. Is that correct?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
No need for a scan tool to do the throttle body adaption with the AEG engine. Just turn the ignition switch to "run" without starting the engine and wait 30 seconds. Switch off and then restart the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need for a scan tool to do the throttle body adaption with the AEG engine. Just turn the ignition switch to "run" without starting the engine and wait 30 seconds. Switch off and then restart the engine.

I've tried that and didn't have any luck.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What brand coil pack did you install? Cheap, poor quality ones; are known to cause problems. Did you check or replace the spark plugs and wires? I would be curios; to see if your fuel pressure is in spec! What scan tool; are you using? Any current trouble codes? The cheapest VW specific scan tool; to run the TBA process as shown in VW service manuals, would probably be the vag 401 on Amazon.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What brand coil pack did you install? Cheap, poor quality ones; are known to cause problems. Did you check or replace the spark plugs and wires? I would be curios; to see if your fuel pressure is in spec! What scan tool; are you using? Any current trouble codes? The cheapest VW specific scan tool; to run the TBA process as shown in VW service manuals, would probably be the vag 401 on Amazon.com

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
For now I ordered a cable but if it doesn't work I will get this

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
The rough running after installing a new starter might just be a coincidence.

You can identify the cylinder(s) with a misfire by attaching an appropriate scan tool, once you have found the cylinder(s) with the misfire you can swap coils between the misfiring cylinder and one that is know to be good.

If a coil is the issue, the misfire will follow it to the new cylinder, if the misfire does not move, then you can move on to the inspecting the connection harnesses, spark plugs, plug wires (if applicable), injectors, compression test etc. until you discover the culprit.

Regarding the TBA, regardless of engine type, it is best to use a proper scan tool (such as a Ross-Tech) to correctly perform this procedure on any VW/Audi equipped with DBW or with an electronically actuated cable operated throttle body, the scan tool will provide you with an absolute visual indication as to whether or not the TBA procedure was successful, this eliminates any "guesswork".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts