NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Technician
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again with more issues, lol. So my little sister calls me and says that her car isn't running. After getting it to my work, I find that it will start, rev to 2k, and immediately die. Only way to keep it running is to keep foot on pedal. Did notice that if I barely hold the pedal it will suddently rev all the way to redline until I remove foot. CEL on, codes PO440, and P0455. Emission codes that have been there since we got it (N80 valve). No vacuum leaks that stand out. Disconnect MAF and vehicle will idle on its own along with small backfires through intake. Replaced with a new Bosch MAF and same problem occurs. Did notice connector to MAF isn't in perfect shape, the red plastic portion of inside connector is missing, (might be problem?), Plugs and wires have been replaced along with new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. No battery issues prior to this problem either. HELP!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Both codes are pointing to your EVAP system.

What engine/trans in the car? How many miles?

·
Technician
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Both codes have been in the system for months with no prior issues. AEG/auto 2.0L 160K. Sister stated that vehicle was fine, parked it for a few hours, came back to car and it started to stall after starting.

Update, Have ground and 5V reference at MAF connector, and I have 12V on blue/yellow wire for a couple of seconds when key is turned on.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Back again with more issues, lol. So my little sister calls me and says that her car isn't running. After getting it to my work, I find that it will start, rev to 2k, and immediately die. Only way to keep it running is to keep foot on pedal. Did notice that if I barely hold the pedal it will suddently rev all the way to redline until I remove foot. CEL on, codes PO440, and P0455. Emission codes that have been there since we got it (N80 valve). No vacuum leaks that stand out. Disconnect MAF and vehicle will idle on its own along with small backfires through intake. Replaced with a new Bosch MAF and same problem occurs. Did notice connector to MAF isn't in perfect shape, the red plastic portion of inside connector is missing, (might be problem?), Plugs and wires have been replaced along with new timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. No battery issues prior to this problem either. HELP!
Someone else had a similar problem recently and it had a very simple solution. The gap on his spark plugs was way off. How recently did you change the plugs and did you check the gap before installing them? When is the last time the Fuel filter was changed? Did you check the vacuum line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator to the intake?
Check that plug gap!!

·
Technician
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved! Overlooked the vacuum leak on the passenger side of the manifold. Looks like previous owner tried to J.B. weld the pipe of the side of the manifold and it came back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts