NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Update] 99 2.0L Possible CCM Failure?

I'm having some power window, door lock issues. I have troubleshot the switches for both the door locks and windows with a multimeter and they are functioning correctly.

Currently my issues are:

1. passenger side door does not light courtesy light when door is opened. Nor does Pxr ambient lighting work.
  2. Both windows and locks only works for about 10 minutes after connecting battery, then does not work.
  3. Passenger door locks will not work.
  4. Door lock button on drivers door only operates drivers lock.

I have checked the following so far:
  1. ohmed the door wiring harnesses and window and door lock switches - all good.
  2. Both switches on drivers door will operate the drivers window.
  3. Both window motors are good.
  4. I have dismantled the Passenger door locking unit and checked the soldering on the circuit board (all fine), as well as checked the functionality of all 4 microswitches inside (all fine).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I checked fuses 5, 6, 14, and 38. None blown but replaced them anyways.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It looks like you've done a thorough job diagnosing the problem. The only other thing would be to plug in VAGCOM and get its opinion on the problem.

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

There were a couple of people around here with the exact same "works for 10 minutes after connecting the battery" issue. It seems to have turned out to be a short in the door wiring. See these posts:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...8-im-stumped-power-window-module-problem.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...anybody-here-replace-door-wiring-harness.html

When you ohmed the wiring harness, did you look for shorts between wires where there should be no connection? There will be a lot of possible combinations but I'd focus on the CAN bus wires. A short there could do in the communications between the door controller and the CCM in the car.

Good luck and let us know what you find. The "10 minute" issue seems to be coming up more and more and it would be good to have a definitive answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE:

So yesterday I bought VCDS after I checked continuity of both door wiring harness, which came back clean. I proceeded to check the CCM using VCDS.

Results:
Code:
Monday, 03 March 2014, 18:34:39:0

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2

Control Module Part Number: 1J0 959 799 AJ

Component and/or Version: 5X Zentral-SG Komf. 0001

Software Coding: 00256

Work Shop Code: WSC 00066

VCID: 867F951BB13F

Additional Info: Steuergerát Fahr. antwortet nicht   

Additional Info: Steuergerát Beif. antwortet nicht   Steuergerát Beif. antwortet nicht   

2 Faults Found:

01332 -  Door Control Module; Passenger Side (J387)

49-00 -  No Communications

01331 -  Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)

49-00 -  No Communications

Now can I reprogram it, and if so HOW or do I need to scrap it and get a new one and program it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Window works 10 minutes, then stops

First of all, this is a great sight with a lot of useful information. This is my first post. I consider myself to be an above average garage mechanic. I've swapped motors in BMW 5 & 7 series, rebuilt the top end in my other daughters Honda CRV, have done body work and painting as well as a lot of other major projects so I like to think I know my way arouind but this Bug is getting the best of me. The issue is contained to the drivers door. All other items, switches, etc. work.

I'm having the 10 minute working issue in a 1999 beetle I just bought for my daughter. I found 4 broken wires inside the rubber boot in the door hinge area and fixed them.

All switches light up. (even when the window, mirrors and lock don't work). The gas door and rear hatch switches work fine. I replaced the door lock already (it was broken). When I either unplug the harness at the motor or behind the kick plate by the hood release, the motor "blips" and the driver window works but the lock goes down (not fully) and back up (with door open or closed). The lock switch or window switch doesn't operate the passenger side either and the mirrors don't work. The window even works without the key. Then all the sudden it stops. Unplug and replug, it works again for a few minutes. Its driving me nuts.

Even when it isn't working, the switches have power to them. Also, I can open the door manually and the alarm doesn't go off until you stick the key in the ignition. All buttons on the passenger side work. All interior lights, etc work as they should.

Any suggestions? I don't mind spending money to replace parts as long as I know they are the cause of the problem. At $150 - $350 for a motor its not something I want to "try" and see if it works. Using a meter I checked continuity of all wires from the 3 plugs at A-Pillar by the hood release to to where they terminate in the door and all tested positive. I also tried to track as many down as possible from the motor module to where they terminate in the door and they all seem fine????

·
Registered
14,052 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All fixed!!!!

I thought I'd post about what I did to fix my issue. I don't own and didn't know anyone that had a vag com scanner so I tested every possible wire and ground I could test and beside the couple in the boot at the hinge area which I repaired I could not find and wire that had a short or did not have continuity. I pulled up the carpet and looked at any possible corroded splices and the all tested and looked good.

I ended up finding an ad for a 2001 1.8 GLX turbo beetle (mine is a 1.8 GLX Turbo also) they were parting out. Mine is a 1999 but I figured it should still work. He wouldn't sell me just the parts of the door but sold me the complete door for $300. I figured I would take a chance on it and if it didn't work I would get my money back parting it out. The door didn't have the folding function on the mirror switch like mine does but figured I'd take a chance on it anyway. I was able to test the door on the car before I pulled it off and everything worked just fine.

I got it home and took it apart and I was relieved to see that the part numbers on the harness matched. My harness had broken wires so I replaced the harness with the one from the 2001 beetle and my car still had some of the same issues. I swapped the window motor and everything came alive. Alarm, remote, windows, locks, mirrors, etc. all worked. It even started dinging when the key was put in the ignition. None of these functions worked since I bought the car for my daughter so I am very happy. Now I'm just going to try to sell the rest of the parts to recoup some money. ?

Good luck to all of you having similar issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts