NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 beetle gls 2.0. just replaced both drive Axels and trans pan gasket. Refilled with 3 liters ravenol atf. Now I get loud grinding noise when attempting to go into gear. Transmission was working great prior to this work. I am stumped. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
What brand axles did you purchase and are they new? If the trans was ok; check the changed variables. Maybe, get up on a lift or jack stands; see, if you can find the source of the noise. On the ATF fluid, did you follow the temp/fill procedure and confirm, the temps are correct, when you filled it? Let us know, what your inspection and testing reveals, we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Yes, I followed the instructions. Same as I did couple years ago and everything worked fine then. Transaxels are from Napa. Wheels spin freely. Found this item under car. Does it look familiar and could it be my problem? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Ecm has it listed as a seat stop. Another issue unrelated to tranny. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a little more info. When in park, the wheels spin freely. When I shift into drive or reverse, I get the loud grinding noise and strong vibration about a second after shifting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No trouble codes. Tomorrow I will work reverse order and try to pinpoint. It seems that transmission is working and maybe something is different with the differential. The drive Axel's are bolt on and not splined, so I don't see how that could be a problem, but I will start there. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
I would double check and make sure, you installed the correct axles. Many have had issues with aftermarket axles; something to double check, it is not uncommon to be given the wrong ones or aftermarket ones, are not oem quality causing issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright. Here is the latest. Dropped car off Jack stands. In park, I can roll forward and backward with a distinct clicking noise. Now the engine will start in park or neutral and then dies after 2 to 3 seconds. If I step on accelerator I can keep it running.
No engine code stored. No transmission code stored. However, under ecu page, I get the following.
Component: Motronic M5.9.2 AT
V01
Coding:00001
WSC:00066.
Engine has been starting and running fine until this point.
Thanks

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think billy maybe on to something, there is a difference between the inner cv axles for a manual and automatic transmission. They may have sold you the wrong ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found it! The new drivers side drive axel was defective. The inner CV joint is slipping. Rubber boot is getting all twisted and that is where I could hear the clicking noise. I will pick up a new one tomorrow and update you as soon as I can.
As for the engine not running. There is a small hose that goes out the back of the air intake and leads into an 8 inch longer hard tube. Tube is connected to a disk with an electronic sensor. Tube is split from age. Engine runs when the split is sealed.
Thanks for all the help. Your responses led me in the right direction to find these problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I see is " Mexico kys kw.19.98 teee1j0-612-041ab
I will take it with me to to auto parts store tomorrow. Have to drive to Sacramento. Local auto parts are closed on Sundays do to covid- 19

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
Volkswagen O.E.M. Brake Booster Vacuum Line with Check Valve 1J0612041AB

A typical auto parts store; won't carry the whole hose; if it is the small rubber portion, you could match it up and just replace that. If the rest of the hose is damaged; the whole hose assembly, may need to be replaced.

RMEuropean has a affordable price; compared to getting it from VW or a local dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts