NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have replaced the plugs and wires. Still having misfire problem. Pulled the following codes using Vag-Com 409

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 018 JE
Component and/or Version: MOTRONIC M5.9.2 HS V01
Software Coding: 00000
Work Shop Code: WSC 22182
7 Faults Found:
16824 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Malfunction
P0440 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-00 - -
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-00 - -
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-00 - -
16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermitt

Is the CoilPack my next step?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I would guess coil pack. I used to use a spray bottle on the wires and around the pack to see where it would arc at.

Bme

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Ignition coil

Try changing the Ignition coil it's known to fail in the 2.0 I hear. it get's hairline cracks you can't see with the Naked eye.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Your first code could also be the cause of the Misfires since if the EVAP system doesn't function properly you could run into the misfire issues.

16824/P0440/001088 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Malfunction

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System leaking
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80) faulty
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Sealing
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve (N80)
Check Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid Valve (N115)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
Air Intake System leaking
Fuel Supply faulty
Injector(s) faulty
Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
Ignition Coil(s) faulty
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open
Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Misfire Recognition
Check Air Intake System
Check Fuel Supply
Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
Check Ignition Coil(s)
Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I don't see how the evap valve could cause a misfire or even the opposite. I think you may have 2 issues.

Do you have vag-com? If you do you can run output diagnostic test mode with the valve removed (but plugged in) and when you test the purge valve you should be able to tell if it is plugged or stuck by blowing through it. It should open and close which stops the air. You could also test it by setting that part of the readiness code.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank I will try suggestions. I replaced the coil pack and still having problem. I get a strong fuel smell but im thinking that is from 3 and 4 misfiring. I have tried to run the vacuum lines but if anyone has other suggestions, I am open to them.

I will be running through the above posted suggestions today

·
Registered
17 Posts
help

I don't see how the evap valve could cause a misfire or even the opposite. I think you may have 2 issues.

Do you have vag-com? If you do you can run output diagnostic test mode with the valve removed (but plugged in) and when you test the purge valve you should be able to tell if it is plugged or stuck by blowing through it. It should open and close which stops the air. You could also test it by setting that part of the readiness code.
how can this be done? instructions? where is valve located? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Well with a vag-com tool with output diagnostic test mode you could check it. I suppose you could pull it out, make a jumper and try to see I you can open or close it with battery power, but that is could be risky I it requires < 12 volts. I have a turbo but will try to look in my Bentley for location.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I am going to guess it near the evap canister in the rear. The older volkswagens had them in the engine compartment, but honestly I can't find the location in my Bentley. I went to school on these before they came out and have a tech training book, but it is buried in my garage. I did a search and lot of threads came up on it. You could also do a new post in the 2.0 section asking the location of the evap purge valve. Also called the N80 valve in Bentley.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for the delay. i have had to just park the bug and wait until i have time. I did use the vag-com to check the valve and it seems ok. I cleared the codes and drove the car around the block. Still getting the same misfire codes. Kinda stumped about where to go next. Could this be an injector issue? Open to any ideas.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
What plugs and wires did you install? What gap did you set the plugs to?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
So you swapped out the Coil pack. How about the spark plug wires and spark plugs? Also when you replaced the plugs did you gap them properly? Some of those plugs from the store have a HUGE gap from the factory and need to be properly gapped or you will have misfires all day long.
Hope you find your problem soon.

You can put some SEAFOAM in your gas tank the next time you fill up to clean the injectors but I seriously doubt they are the reason for your misfires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the help

I have had to park the bug for the last few months. Been a real pain sharing my 91 pickup with a family of four :|

I am jumping back into for the new year. I have been trying all the suggestions. I changed out the fuel filter today... just for kicks. no difference though.

Ill keep everyone posted but keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also

in response to the last post. i did switch out the plugs and wires and i checked the gap on all the plugs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Check and make sure the plug wires are in the correct location. I changed my coil pack out on my old NB because of misfires. And I accidentally put the wires back on incorrectly and caused misfires again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
this worked for us a lil more into it but worked

have a 99 2.0 beetle went through 12 maf under warrenty n they called tech n replaced all the wires n the maf going to the brain ( computer) n it was fine for 7 yrs till it kept popping missfire codes we changed plugs wires coil n it popped those codes again my buddy played around n replaced the maf the maf plug n wires from the plug n its great once again the wires n connection seem to b a problem on the maf it worked for us over a yaer so far no codes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts