VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my name is Tim and first I'd like to say thanks to everyone for all the great write ups and how tos on here. They have really helped me out with quite a few of the projects I've tackled on my '99 GLS. Second this is not only my first Beetle but also my first Volkswagen and I've got to say this has to be one of the nicest cars I've owned to work on, that being said previous car where late 90s Saab 9000s, a 82 Volvo 240, and a Alfa Romeo. So I guess anything should be easier to work on then a Alfa.

Anyways what was intended to be a new daily driver with nothing done to it seems to be turning into more of a toy(this kinda happens with every car). So I've decided to make a build thread out of it. An so without more endless babble, here's the Beetle in question.

Its a 1999 GLS 2.0 5 speed manual with a 135k. Overall the car isn't in too bad of shape for age and mileage, has some small surface rust on the dented rocker, and the front end isn't too pretty under that stupid car bra,

but its nothing I haven't dealt with before. Interior needs a good cleaning, and that window tint has got to go.

But first I gave the Bug a tune up, new air, cabin, fuel filters, oil change, timing belt, water pump, and accessory belt.

One of the first projects I decided to start on was refinishing a set of Millie Evo 5 17s I've had for a while. I was just going to paint the wheels the car came with but one was cracked and all the tires are dry rotted and unsafe. These are what they looked like before.

And after.

I used PlastiKote Flat Enamel, but left the fake but actually unscrew from the wheel(Go figure)beadlocks bare aluminum to accent the Autobot centercaps. Which are GM center caps from the 2011 Transformers Edition Camaro. Hinty Hint of where this car build is going.

So I don't know if anyone else on here likes Transformers at all but your about to get a big dose of it, I've always been a huge fan of them since I was a kid, you know back when Bumblebee was a dopey little 73 Super Beetle. Then in 2007 Michael Bay did a amazing job on the revamping of Transformers by turning Bumblebee into a kickass 77 Camaro and then later into the Concept Camaro. And I've seen both on the road, old yellow Beetles with a simple red autobot logo on the drivers side of the hood, and the new body style Camaros with autobot logos on the sides and the special decals.
I figure why not do kinda a combo/mashup of both on a New Beetle. So this is car is going to be Bumblebee on a New Beetle with the new Camaro's color scheme.
So today I started working on the body, I'm going to be doing all the body and prep work and I'm having my friend then paint everything at his paint shop to keep costs down on the whole project. As of now I got all the rust cleaned down, primered, all the dents are smoothed out and the hood emblem has been filled in.

Reason why I stripped off all the fenders and bumpers is the car will be getting a two tone paint job. The doors, rear quarters, little area where the side blinker are and window suround area will be Hot Rod Flatz Flat Black. The rest of the car will be Sunrise Pearl by House Of Kolors, the exact color of the Bumblebee camaros in the Micheal Bay movies.
As of now I'm just waiting on a set of 10 point torx sockets to get here so i can remove the doors, hood, and hatch. All the jams are going to be painted flat black as thats going to be the first stage of paint done. The beetle is a pretty good car to do a full color change on because there is barely any visible painted surfaces in the engine bay to deal with.
So while I'm waiting for tools and paint to get here I swapped in some new rear speakers, as you can see this ones pretty shot.

These are just some low end Kenwood KFC's I got for 15 dollars new in box. I plan on once I have all the exterior paint work done pulling all the carpet and seats out to clean them well and lay in new wire for my Rockford amps, and my JL Audio C5 components for the front doors.
But for now just waiting on stuff to get here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I wish I could work on it at home in my own garage cause I always seem to forget tools but I'm working out of my grandfathers garage because it's right behind my painters shop. Tomorrow it's going over to his shop so we can take off the doors, hood, and hatch to finish up the final prep work. Then hopefully the paint will be here Monday and he can start in on the flat black.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Great start. I'm looking forward to your progress. Btw, Torx are 8 point and ZXN (triple square) are 12 point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The set I ordered off Amazon had all the ones I needed. They are Neiko brand and cost 25.00 dollars. Seem to be of pretty good quality so if anyone needs a set I'd recommend them. I'm only gonna use them maybe two- three times so I didn't think it would be worth spending a crazy amount on Snap-On or Mac.

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
This looks like it's going to be a fun little project. Looks like you have a decent Beetle to start with. Keep posting and we'll keep lookin.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah like is said when I got it, it was defiantly due for a timing belt service. But at least I got all that preventative maintenance done prior to any issues arising. Tuesday is the big day for the first stage of paint, atm I'm working on sprucing up my door panels since their off and maybe someone can chime in on this, I'm reupholstering the arm rest with a yellow/gold suede and repaint all the grey panels black, when anyone else has recovered the arm rest did you apply a layer of foam for comfort with the new material? I scrapped all the old gunk off and washed it down with Purple Power to get it nice and clean. I'd like to add some cushion but I'm afraid it will just peel away only being held on with spray glue. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last stage of prep before it hits the paint booth this week. Tell ya one thing these cars have some heavy doors.

While everythings apart I started working on the door panels. Here is the passenger side that I haven't started on yet. You can see the vinyl on the arm rest is just pulling off over all its just rather dirty and all the soft touch is peeling away. I already cleaned the drivers side off of all the gunk and I found the best way to get it off is letting the panels sit outside in the sun and then spraying them with purple power and scrubbing them down with a SOS pad. I only recommend doing it that way though if you are planning on painting them. Other wise it leaves fine scratch marks all over it.

Heres the drivers side I'm having the top cap painted the same color yellow the car will be and the armrest will be yellow suede as soon as it gets here. I painted the rest with SEM Landue? Black and i think it came out pretty nice. I haven't decided if I'll paint the pocket and speaker cover yet.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Subscribing to the adventure :banana:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Haha thanks, hopefully I can get you guys some good updates as soon as materials start coming in. Been having to wait on paint cause my painter only uses DuPont paint and I wanted it done in House Of Kolors so just waiting now for that to get here and then we will see some real progress!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woohoo got the bumpers and hood painted this morning! Can't wait to see what it looks like outside!

I decided to not fill in the holes from where the license plate bracket was because I'm going to get a Euro plate for the front.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finished up my tail lights and marker lights as well. It's a mixture of House Of Kolor clear with some left over black paint and then wet sanded and buffed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking good. Nice and slick. With a painter who can spray like that, there is no need to go flat black on anything! :purdy shiny

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks, but he's the one who will be spraying the flat black too, it's a Hot Rod Flatz Enamel so it's pretty tough stuff. It's sprays really nice. Once it's sprayed and I get picks hopefully it turns out as good as it looks in my mind lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, that is a bad-a** color, man. Can't wait to see this bad boy done
Thanks, I friggen love it! I'm so glad that it came out almost exactly the same shade as Bee in the movie. I was worried when painting that because I could never find out what exact brand of sealer they used before spraying the yellow we end up going with DuPont because it's really cheap and it turned out okay.
Here's a pic of my inspiration.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
That's a great combination. Not "forced", if you know what I mean. Done tastefully
What's your plan when you incorporate the black?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a great combination. Not "forced", if you know what I mean. Done tastefully
What's your plan when you incorporate the black?
The sides of the car will be flat black kinda a two tone scheme, it sounds weird when I describe it so hopefully the pictures of it on Monday will show it better. Also I'm going to do the same rally striping theme on the hood roof and hatchlid in carbon fiber and flat black layered. I'll have to wait a month or so on the stripes for budgeting but it will look good without them for a while.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts