NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been browsing this AMAZING forum for a while now looking for a solution with no avail. :(

I bought a 99 2.0 AEG Beetle for 1000 bucks, and was told it was stuck in 3rd gear and in limp mode. Went to look at the car and it would not stay running at all. I found no evidence the car was stuck in gear but it had been sitting since last November with a dead battery. Bought the car and brought it home and found it to be out of time by 2-3 teeth. Re timed the engine and did a compression check and everything seems fine. Engine runs much better now but idles around 600 rpm and hardly wants to rev up at all. completely stalls out at about 3500. Engine cleans up and runs smooth when held at an rpm but still has trouble reving up. The only codes it throws is p1580 Throttle Actuator B1 Malfunction, and cyl 1 misfire. Misfires only when trying to drive the car but the engine has no power at all. I have an obd2 scanner that reads live data, it reads 0.0 at all times for absolute throttle position and never goes above 10deg for spark advance. The maf reads about .3 or so at idle and 1.5 at 2500 rpm which seems wrong to me. I have replaced the Battery, fuel filter, plugs, wires appear new, coil because of cracks, cleaned the maf, and checked the injectors which appear to spray fine. I'm trying to get in touch with a guy with vag-com to help out, but i think the car should run better than this. I know it needs an adaptation but I wouldn't think it would cause it to run this bad. I have been working on this car for a few weeks now and cant figure out whats wrong. My apologies for the REALLY long post, I don't want to leave out any vital info you guys may need! Any input is greatly appreciated, I just want this car fixed soon and out of my hair!

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Being out of time by 2 or 3 teeth (you should be sure which :) ) means it may have been bending valves or it may have suffered a previous timing belt failure and have valve damage from that.

Quick check of the plug in No1 cylinder then do a compression check on all cylinders, if you are not sure what the results mean post them here.

If they are all good then clear the codes and run the engine, read any new codes and post them here for advise if you need to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree with simon...if it jumped time that badly i'd suspect valve damage....but the TB sounds way outta whack too.just my two cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies for taking so long to respond, been busy with a lot of other things, I had a nice guy out the other day that had vag-com who fixed pretty much all the problems with the throttle body and misc codes. the only problem that remains is the cyl 1 misfire. it throws the code everytime you put the engine under load. its now the only code thrown, and ive tried switching the injectors around, switching the plugs and wires around with no avail. as soon as the engine cools down im going to do a compression test although it seems the valves could be the culprit. Is there anything else that would cause only 1 cylinder to misfire? it has good fuel pressure and idles fine besides a few hickups every few seconds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts