NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I'm trying to get at the Window Regulator in my passenger door to replace it. While I've been able to get to the inner door-panel and get the window-motor detached, I can't get the window-glass (which is in the fully-down position) to slide up to expose the screws in the access cut-outs (I can only get the glass up 2 inches at most). Since I can't get at the window screws to release the window-glass, I don't seem to be able to remove inner door panel to get at the regulator! ...Is there a way to get this panel off with the glass attached? ...or ...Is there a way of getting the window up (to expose the screws) that I might not have tried?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...thanks for the reply, red99 ...I had already watched that particular video (more than once to see if there was something I missed) and arrived where I am now ...all instructional videos I've been able to find online include the step of loosening the screws that release the glass ...trying to wiggle/pull/lift the window doesn't seem to be working ...I've pulled the glass to the point of moving the whole door panel with it, but can only get it up a couple inches (which retracts when the door-panel settles), but in-no-way does move as easily as in the video ...I don't know why it's jammed or what's stopping the window-brackets from sliding up the tracks :confused::confused: ...though, I have noticed through the access cut-outs that the regulator cables (black with the green collars) are flopping around in there off-their-wheels

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
So, what was the problem that prompted you to take the door apart? A problem with the motor or the regulator?

Have you tried turning the window motor fitting to raise the window? I'm wondering if your problem is the regulator or cables and not the motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, what was the problem that prompted you to take the door apart? A problem with the motor or the regulator?

Have you tried turning the window motor fitting to raise the window? I'm wondering if your problem is the regulator or cables and not the motor.
...thanks so much for your responses red99

...I'm sure the problem is the regulator (aside from the signature "pop" sound when it broke, when I removed the motor I could see the kinked metal inner cable sticking out overlapping the plastic gear that the motor turns ...plus, the motor works fine) ...but I can't get to the regulator (or its cables) as it's behind the inner panel which I can't seem to get off
...I'm assuming I can't get the panel off because I can't separate the window-glass from the brackets (...can't get to the screws)
...I don't know if there is a way to remove the panel without separating the glass first (I'd hate to try to force it and break something)

...I have no problems doing anything I've seen in any of the panel-removal instructions up-to loosening those window screws ...the inner-panel itself is unscrewed and loosened ...I can move the panel around in-place in the door but it's not coming free of the door ...and the most obvious thing I can observe is that the window (as I can't detach it) is moving right along with the panel ...I'm guessing that's what's keeping the panel wedged/locked in the door (though I'm not sure) :confused:

PS ...just to assure you of things I don't believe are keeping the panel from coming-off, I've disconnected and pushed through the door-lock/latch/speaker/mirror & such

·
Registered
120 Posts
What are you replacing the regulator with, if its an entire aftermarket regulator just grab a drill and drill out the old regulator. It's like four evenly spaced brass pins in the inner panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...thanks fastdustin ...and thanks again, red99

...sounds like I'm going to do something along the lines fastdustin recommends ...gonna drill out the 4 brass rivets holding the regulator tracks on back, get to the screws to release the glass, pull the tracks out and re-mount them (with flat-head bolts) and install the new regulator kit ...seems like the best solution from all the info I gathered today

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi. just noticed this is a current thread.
had something of the same issue. Window was stuck, but was able to grab it and move it while someone activated the window-up switch at the same time. FWIW, can now manually pull or push it for most of the travel. Now, if I can just figure out how this regulator frame is supposed to fit...

·
Registered
46 Posts
and when you get to it, that little connector at the door lock has a small tab facing the outerdoor panel that slips down to release the connector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts