NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter drove her Beetle to a 7-11 this morning to put air in her tires, when she tried to re-start the car it did nothing....no clicking, no nothing.

I put the battery on a charger and it shows a full charge, just put a rebuilt starter on it about 4 months ago. Wondering if the pos cable came loose somewhere.... any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did you try and jump start it? Are the lights on in the cabin? Headlights dim?

If you can get it started I would get it scanned for codes even if the CEL isn't on.

Check the fuse box on top of the battery and see how it looks. And yes, recheck the cable to the alterntor.

Other possibilities would be a faulty ignition switch and or the Crankshaft positioning sensor which is known to be a big problem with these cars.

Good Luck! I hope you get it running soon!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried jumping it with my truck, no luck. Pulled battery and tray out, found pos cable loose and tightened it. Still won't start.... all lights are on and look fine....stereo won't come on

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Forgot to ask. How many miles on the car and when was the last timing belt/water pump service performed?

Take off the plastic timing belt cover and make sure the timing belt is still in one piece or hasn't jumped a few teeth. Which either way would be a bad thing and you shouldn't try and start it any further.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
The crank position sensor (CKP) is indeed a possibility. I had a similar situation with my nB. In my case, I went over a speed dip in our neighborhood, and she died immediately. I pushed her a few houses down to my house, let her sit overnight, and she fired up the next morning, took her to Autozone, to get her scanned, & it was the CKP sensor. it is a DIY you can do...just a bear to work your hands into the area. Its behind the secondary air injector pump, & fishes its way down behind the oil filter.

All the best.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
758 Posts
tried jumping it with my truck, no luck. Pulled battery and tray out, found pos cable loose and tightened it. Still won't start.... all lights are on and look fine....stereo won't come on
Since the stereo won't come on, this would seem to be an electrical problem. I'd check all the fuses, both in the car and in the fuse block on top of the battery. That fuse block on top of the battery is a known source of trouble, so look for any discolored or melted areas in addition to an obviously blown fuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts