NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 99 beetle it runs rough and dies after driving the fuel filter and plugs j as be been changed the car gets worse up inclines

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
What type of transmission do you have? Manual or Automatic?
When you changed the spark plugs did you gap them? Did you have your car scanned for codes? If so what codes did your car throw? Take the plastic engine cover off and check for any suspicious and worn rubber hoses. Even a tiny vacuum leak can cause for the car to run very rough especially under load or going up hill. Clean your throttle body and check your PCV valve. How old is your Coil and Spark Plug wires?
The more info you can give us the more we can help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a manual trans the only codes it had was cyl 1 and 4 misfire but those went away when I changed, the plugs and the dtc is not set

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you had cyl 1 and 4 misfire then you definitely have a bad coil. That it went away doesn't mean you cured the problem. By the way, what's the rpm you typically use when driving? I see somebody drive manual using rpms lower than 2000 that's not good especially for VWs.

Its a manual trans the only codes it had was cyl 1 and 4 misfire but those went away when I changed, the plugs and the dtc is not set

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It runs about 4 grand the plugs were gaped it only dies when hot the coil might be the cause after it gets, hot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This girl that owns the is a speed demon no wayshe is under 2 grand

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
This girl that owns the is a speed demon no wayshe is under 2 grand

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Yeah, I don't see how you can drive the Beetle under 2 Grand rpms unless you are a 95 Year old Granny ;) Especially with a Manual. I think the normal rpm cruising speed unless accellerating is around 3000-3300 rpms. Now when you hit the throttle that is a different story. Once my Turbo kicks in that Puppy climbs to 6k in no time. :D

I would check into the coil issue. Take a water bottle and open the hood. While the car is running (let it warm up a bit)
spray a mist of water on the coil. If it arcs or sparks you got yourself a coil problem. Lucky for you the 2.0 only has one coil instead of 4 on the 1.8 ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts