VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
If the misfires, are thermal related and not all the time; a bad coolant temp sensor, can definitely be a issue. This is because, the ecu will give a wrong air fuel mixture; as the coolant temps are read wrong, which can cause a rich condition, rough idle, hesitation, misfires and black smoke from the exhaust. When the engine warms up; the problem, tends to disappear.

So, after the throttle body clean; were you successful in doing a tba?

I think you are making progress but it may take multiple diagnostic sessions and replacement service parts, to get things running in top performing levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not sure I know how to tell if I did a tba or not.. no difference before or after the key on key off key on, hold gas petal down for 1 min, turn key off, let off gas pedal.

I have ordered a coil pack - should be in next week sometime.

Bug has 113,000~ miles on it.. might be time for a new Bosch fuel pump if the coil pack doesn't help the overall no power situation once warm. < I did do limited testing . fuel pressure around 40, volume test seemed to fil up bottle more than they said it would.>

And I will see if what scanner he has and if he will send it to me and report back here,
he is on the beach till Sunday? <I wish I was on the beach, ;)

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
On the coil pack; what brand did you purchase, we have found it is crucial to buy quality oem parts and other parts like spark plugs, wires should be considered for replacement, if old, needed, time for new, etc. VW has used oems like Bosch, Eldor, etc; the Chinese ones tend, to prematurely fail and cause drivability issues. Places like fcpeuro; carry quality oem parts, free shipping and a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
oh, 1 more interesting fact. When I had the complete scan done week or so ago at a local shop with their $10,000? handheld scanner, when he input the beetle code from serial number, his scanner would completely reboot, < he tried this twice.. said it was the 1st time he had ever seen this happen> .. is this important?
Thanks

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
, That sounds odd I don’t know what scantal is using; although I think it might be a good investment to get your own scan tool? VCDS by Russ Tech is $199, OBDeleven and $69-$100 and lately we found this cheap Chinese VW scan tool for $35 on Amazon. Even the cheap $35 one from Amazon could really help you troubleshoot things and that way you wouldn’t have to be beholden to repair shop or have other people scan things for you.

TopDiag OBD2 Scanner, Car Code Reader for VW Audi Skoda Full-Systems Diagnostic, OBDII Scanner with Battery Tester 3 in 1(TP600B) https://a.co/d/im4w1iT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the fcpero, sounds like the place to buy. ! i usually buy Bosch when I can, usually from Amazon, but , dont trust amazon to be true all the time.
I just bought my fuel regulator from amazon - Bosch.. <org one had a 3.0 Bar stamped on it, the new one has a 4.0 Bar>
Also, nothing I have done or changed has made any difference in the lost of power when warmed up..Guess I just haven't replaced the bad part yet, lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks! I DO have my own scanner cable, a KKLVAG-COM for 409.1 and it has worked great for everything that VCDS-Lite lets me do.
Is their a software that I should be using other than the lite?
<will the TopDiag do everything you want me to do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi billymade,

Also, this the one my friend has, but wont send it to me, lol.
BlueDriver Pro OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scan Tool and Code Reader for iPhone and Android

He swears by it.. Would it be worth the extra $$ or should I just go with the TopDiag ?

Thanks again, sorry soo many questions..

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Hey, I cannot guarantee the TopDiag VW scanner is any good or will work but at that price (less than $40), it is worth a try. If it doesn't you can always return it to Amazon; the best scanner, VCDS by Ross Tech is in the $199 range and then, the $69-$100 range for OBDEleven, various "VAG" Chinese knockoff tools, etc. This one, at this moment; is selling really cheap and so, I guess, you could give it a shot?

As to VCDS Lite, it has its limitations but can be a useful tool but as one would imagine, may features are disabled. As far as other software; I don't' know, what else would run with it but if you wanted a full VCDS capability, you would need to buy a genuine Ross Tech cable and that would enable you to use the full version of the software @ $199.

As to the BlueDriver wireless scan tool; I'm not aware of the Volkswagen coverage it has nor have I tried using one. My brother has it and he was not particularly impress but there does, seem to be many positive reviews online.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
soo, I got the new scanner in, gots lots of readings, but it's not a vag com, lol.
it did find the multi fire, I pulled the plugs, the center tip is gone, like level with the insulator. Denso Iridium . not fouled,

Wires looked good, short ones -6k, 6k long ones -8k,10k ohms How do I know if the wires are bad? they look good..

I am gonna change the plugs, do you have a brand and number you recommend for plugs and wires if you think I need to replace the wires? 99 2.0
Thanks

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
NGK and Bosch are oem:

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
For wires Bosch is a classic oem; fcpeuro has beru and sti:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well, after replacing a bunch of stuff, only code it ever thru up was misfire cylinder 1 and random cylinder misfires. I figured maybe fuel pump, although the tests had good pressure.
Lots of people here, said it could be the cat, but the mechanic shop, and muffler places said "not the cat, it would throw a code if it was the cat"
Soo, I finally figured I would drop the exhaust from the header and drive it.
and low and behold, it ran purrfect! All problems magically disappeared! It was a stopped up catalytic converter! <never threw a code for this!)
I only drove it around the block a few times, so time will tell if it is really fixed.

Thanks all, especially Billy for sticking with me to the end :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ty, I couldn't or wouldn't have found it without your help and encouragement :)

org cat, 99.. 113,000 miles .. just 1/2 cup of gray dust and sparkles came out.. the screen was stopped up, plus sounds like a big hunk of something had come loose and was clunking inside
Not sure what to do.. in Colorado, you cant put a universal cat on, cant even seem to get one shipped here, only the California 'CARB' specs $1200 to $1600.. bug aint work much more.. .. what a bunch of...
Soo, I took the old one out, and washed it out with a pressure washer, so far so good...still no codes...lol

21 - 40 of 41 Posts