NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas as to what causes this? I think I may need a new battery but the car starts fine and only stalls when the car is both put into neutral AND the A/C is on.

When I put the A/C on, the RPMs drop a bit and when I put it into neutral, they just drop out completely. This happens if I reverse the order as well and turn the A/C on after it is in neutral.

It may be happening more now that it is hot but that may also be a coincidence due to my using the air more often. It does not happen every time but its seems to be getting more and more frequent.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
It could be a few things but most likely its your throttle body, specifically the motor that controls it (some call it the IAC but its different)

It could be bad which would require a replacement but most likely you just need a throttle body alignment, easy to do with a VAG. I would also recommend taking the TB off and giving it a good cleaning with some TB cleaner.

·
Ruby's master mechanic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of cleaning the TB and after doing some research on here, it seems fairly straightforward.

I do not have access to a VAG, could I just reset it but unhooking the battery or doing the method that involves putting the key "on"/but not started for a few minutes?

Got the battery checked again yesterday, two different shops, both said my battery is bad/replace immediately.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of cleaning the TB and after doing some research on here, it seems fairly straightforward.

I do not have access to a VAG, could I just reset it but unhooking the battery or doing the method that involves putting the key "on"/but not started for a few minutes?

Got the battery checked again yesterday, two different shops, both said my battery is bad/replace immediately.
You would need a vag to calibrate the TB, in fact it is usually required when you disconnect the battery for any long period of time :)

You can buy one of those $10 ones off ebay and use the really old free rosstech software it comes with and do it just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts