NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all.
I just bought a 99 2.0 beetle for my daughter and I have no idea how to work on these cars (this is my first import).

The car pings like a bugger and has NO power at all when it is cold for the first mile or so and then wakes up and takes off. When it is pinging, the check engine light is flashing.
Once it is warmed up, it runs very well.

I had the codes checked when I certified the car and they said it has a MASS airflow sensor issue and missfiring on 3 plugs. I suspect the misfiring codes are related to the cold engine issue I am experiencing now.

The PO says he changed the plugs, wire and cap, but I really don't trust his word. so I am not totally convinced they are new yet.

Is there something that I can replace to help this out. It is very cold out now and I hate having to take it to a shop for something I can change on my own.

Thanks for any help
Ken

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Hello, all.
I just bought a 99 2.0 beetle for my daughter and I have no idea how to work on these cars (this is my first import).

The car pings like a bugger and has NO power at all when it is cold for the first mile or so and then wakes up and takes off. When it is pinging, the check engine light is flashing.
Once it is warmed up, it runs very well.

I had the codes checked when I certified the car and they said it has a MASS airflow sensor issue and missfiring on 3 plugs. I suspect the misfiring codes are related to the cold engine issue I am experiencing now.

The PO says he changed the plugs, wire and cap, but I really don't trust his word. so I am not totally convinced they are new yet.

Is there something that I can replace to help this out. It is very cold out now and I hate having to take it to a shop for something I can change on my own.

Thanks for any help
Ken
The coil packs commonly go out on these. A good test is mist spraying with a water bottle to find where the arc is.

Also if it is flashing don't drive, that means it can damage things, such as the catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks BME.

The service manual I order is not here yet. Can you tell me where the Coil pack(s) are located and/or if anyone knows the part number(s) so I can find replacements.

Assuming this is a user serviceable part, that is.

Ken

Addition
I found this on the internet....I see that it is in the same place as my 74 vette.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5882155_remove-coil-pack-vw.html

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Thanks BME.

The service manual I order is not here yet. Can you tell me where the Coil pack(s) are located and/or if anyone knows the part number(s) so I can find replacements.

Assuming this is a user serviceable part, that is.

Ken

Addition
I found this on the internet....I see that it is in the same place as my 74 vette.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5882155_remove-coil-pack-vw.html
Just a swap out, most people say they can visually see the cracks. I hope you ordered the Bentley manual, the Haynes is really bad on these cars. Actually it's bad on all Volkswagens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't order a haynes, they are quite useless.
People keep giveng them to me for my vette. Nobody wants them.

After attempting to order an online manual from fleabay, and having the seller bid against me, twice. I stopped bidding on one of them and turned to an older version.

I would prefer to just download one from somewhere, but this will have to do. I have had the car for 2 weeks and am still flying blind with repairs.

Ken

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I didn't order a haynes, they are quite useless.
People keep giveng them to me for my vette. Nobody wants them.

After attempting to order an online manual from fleabay, and having the seller bid against me, twice. I stopped bidding on one of them and turned to an older version.

I would prefer to just download one from somewhere, but this will have to do. I have had the car for 2 weeks and am still flying blind with repairs.

Ken
I guess I can change that to Haynes is bad on all cars.

There is a lot of info on here and it is probably one of the friendliest forums I have ever been on, so I think you will find it to be a good tool.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Ken,

My 99 NB is prone to running rough for the first minute after starting due to a sticking fuel injector. I wouldn't say it pings, though. The main symptoms are rough at idle and exhaust that smells of raw gas. It only happens with certain brands of gas.

The MAF is definitely a regular maintenance item. It should be cleaned on any car with one whenever the air filter is replaced. Some people here do it by placing the whole thing in a zip-lock bag with isopropyl alcohol and swishing. I use CRC MAF cleaner and spray it in at the hot wire and temp sensor.

The plug wires can be hard to get completely onto the plugs, especially when the wire set is new, since they in deep recesses. You could check and make sure the wires are firmly on the plugs. You'll need to remove the engine cover to get at the plugs. Disconnecting the fuel injector for cyl 1 and 4 gives access to plugs 2 and 3. You could visually check the coil pack at the same time.

Are there any other symptoms when the engine is cold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I am back and have more on this. Sorry for the delay.

I replaced the coil pack and it made no difference. I took in to a local mechanic and he thought he found the problem. He said the fuel pump was below spec and when the pinched off part of the return line, the preasure went up and the problem went away.

He replaced the fuel pump and it nade no difference, so he thought maybe it was the regulator, so he replaced that, no change again. He put all my parts back in and called me. He said he tried everything he could but no luck and no charge for the work done. He suggests I take it to the dealer now cause he can't fix it.

He is convinced it is a fuel problem, but can't figure it out.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
misfire

Not to say this will solve your problem , but the last time I had a similar issue was when I used NGK(not good kind) spark plugs in my beetle. Randum times in the morning It would misfire and the check engine light would flash for a few seconds and then it would settle down. I went back to Autolite platinums and haven't had that issue again. Good luck to YA

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Have you tried cleaning or replacing the MAF? You did have that code, and during the first minute or so of operation the MAF is used to set the fuel mixture until the O2 sensor is hot enough to operate. The MAF should be cleaned at the same time the air filter is replaced, and more often if you have an oil-type air filter (ie. K&N).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Red99, I was wondering that myself. I remember reading posts on how to clean them so I will search that too.

I just realized today that I am not getting emails when someone replys to my posts...hence the reason I was so long in seeing this.

Just picked up a set of rear rotors (on sale) so I will clean or replace the MAF. Then look into the ABS light once I replace the rear rotors.

I heard yesterday there is a web site out there that has a downloadable program you can install on a laptop to read/diagnose all the CEL codes with a simple cable hookup. VAG????something???. anyone heard of it?

Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts