VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i get in the car and turn on and nothing. A/c will not turn on either. Checked fuse was good . What is the best way to check switch or resistor ? Thanks. Don

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, fuse 25 is good. That is an awesome post just wish i had some pics. Do i have to release radio?
Don

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Both of the links should have pictures with them. They do for me.

The radio needs to come out. To remove the radio you will need a pair of release keys to pull it out with. You probably will need the radio code as well to get it to work again when you re-install it. The code should be with the owner's manual or original paperwork.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I may be wrong, but if the radio stays in the original car, it may display code if the battery/radio was disconnected, but I think the radio will sync back up with the CAN buss and unlock by itself?

I know last time I disconnected the battery on my car, the radio was locked and I did not have my unlock code handy, and after about 30 minutes the radio unlocked itself??

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Yeah, I have disconnected my battery also and have never needed to enter a code. I fear that the radio may be designed so that the code is needed if it is ever disconnected from that car.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I may be wrong, but if the radio stays in the original car, it may display code if the battery/radio was disconnected, but I think the radio will sync back up with the CAN buss and unlock by itself?

I know last time I disconnected the battery on my car, the radio was locked and I did not have my unlock code handy, and after about 30 minutes the radio unlocked itself??
It depends on the year of your vehicle, my 98 for example locked the radio if you disconnected the battery or lost power for some reason for even a second.

Our old radio did this once on a road trip. Way back in the mists of time, which is how my wife found newbeetle.org, she did a search for what to do and found a post by someone saying to check the spare tire well and we should find the code there.

You may be able to find it there too, but that seems to be something on early models, likely due to how easy it was to lock the radio.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, this site and the info is out standing! I took radio out, got the dash out and laying in the dash was the little heater control..snapped it in and glued it in...the blower resistor is bad.
Today got new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and the convertor welded on. There are always things u cant get done. But, no matter what its gotta be delivered to my daughter in morning for her 15th birthday!!
Don

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Gave the 2003 convertible to my daughter for her 16th birthday. Purchased new for my wife, but had EVERY problem under the sun, so I had to resurrect the car and do a lot of work, but have already put about 13k miles on the car in slightly over a year.

These cars are actually pretty safe, durable and parts are pretty cheap most of the time.

Understand you need to replace the timing belt, water pump and probably the larger upper coolant hose with the small stub pipe on it to keep the car reliable. If it has an automatic, the transmission valve body WILL need to be reworked by 90k miles unless the car was a highway cruiser.

These cars area PITA and have all sorts of COMMON problems, but when they are running without problems, they are nice drivers.

Also verify the engine coolant temperature, the thermostats go soft after 3 years and the engine runs too cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.