NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

This time I am ready to replace one of my fog lights as the reflector is gone to pieces.

Doing a search I find that there are 2 schools of thought on the process, one seems to indicate that I have to take the entire front clip off the car to replace 'em
The other shows just the grille being taken out to replace the lights.

Which is correct for a '99 2.0?

Thanks!

J T

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I replace my daughter's fog like on her 2002 and it might be the same as yours. I didn't take the front clip off, you should see a seam where the front grille is separate from the front clip. I don't even think I took off the grille.

If I remember correcty, I took off the plastic skid plate off of the bottom of the car and that makes it so you can access them from the rear. I remember installing them from the rear.

Start by taking off the skid plate and you should be able to figure it out if yours is like my daughters.

JR

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hello again,

This time I am ready to replace one of my fog lights as the reflector is gone to pieces.

Doing a search I find that there are 2 schools of thought on the process, one seems to indicate that I have to take the entire front clip off the car to replace 'em
The other shows just the grille being taken out to replace the lights.

Which is correct for a '99 2.0?

Thanks!

J T
In the 99 I'm guessing you have to remove the entire front to be able to work on the fog lamps. The 98 for sure has to do this. The reason is that the grill is not separate in these early models, where in the later models it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Baa Waaah!

In the 99 I'm guessing you have to remove the entire front to be able to work on the fog lamps. The 98 for sure has to do this. The reason is that the grill is not separate in these early models, where in the later models it is.
Wasn't what I wanted to hear :( sounds like something I don't want to do unless there is a zipper holding the thing on. Wish I'd asked before ordering the replacement lights.

Thanks tho'

J T

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Wasn't what I wanted to hear :( sounds like something I don't want to do unless there is a zipper holding the thing on. Wish I'd asked before ordering the replacement lights...
Whoa! Don't give up the ship!

You might have a look at yours, several parts catalogs show the valence as a separate piece '98-'02, the bar with the fogs is also shown as a separate item.

I can't verify that the '99 looks like this -

But if it does, here is the DIY, courtesy MichelleRoze
http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-how/40707-how-easy-fog-light-bulb-change-fog-light-assembly-removal.html

Reviewing some Photo Threads of other members, hard to tell but it appears to be a separate part on this '98

And it would certainly appear to be separate on Opelmania's '98 (who obviously can walk you through the R&R!)

Actually looks like a pretty easy, straight forward project! Assuming yours isn't one of those Canadian models where they molded the fog valence into the bumper.

M.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
On my 98, the front bumper should have been removed. The 99 is the same way. My front clip and fogs are messed up anyway and I ended up bending and cutting the old ones out of there. If you look on the right clip on the pic M posted, there is a phillips head screw that you can't get to. There is a metal frame in the way. :banghead: My valance is actually bent forward to take that pic. ;) I installed fogs from a 2002 with zip ties. :D

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Wasn't what I wanted to hear :( sounds like something I don't want to do unless there is a zipper holding the thing on. Wish I'd asked before ordering the replacement lights.

Thanks tho'

J T
J T, are you just looking at replacing lamps or the whole fog assembly? If you are just changing burned out lamps, you can just open up the the back of the fog assembly and change the lamp. It's tight, but you can do it. :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have a 2000 VW Beetle and the grill part can not be removed. Not sure when they finally got smart and put in those removable grill fronts. That said the fog light assemblies are held in by 3 screws so if you jack up the car you should be able to remove them. However, I did change the bulb on my drivers side fog light and that was pretty easy.

I just looked at the thread that Michelle posted. WOW, I wish it were that easy. They must have changed that design in either 2001 or 2002. I guess the 1998 to 2000 Beetles are just SOL.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
On my 98, the front bumper should have been removed. The 99 is the same way. My front clip and fogs are messed up anyway and I ended up bending and cutting the old ones out of there. If you look on the right clip on the pic M posted, there is a phillips head screw that you can't get to. There is a metal frame in the way. :banghead: My valance is actually bent forward to take that pic. ;) I installed fogs from a 2002 with zip ties. :D
You know they do make a small socket wrench with a Phillips head attachment. I bet you can get to the Phillips head screws with it. Still a major pain but with a little luck and patience it might be doable. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have a 2000 VW Beetle and the grill part can not be removed. Not sure when they finally got smart and put in those removable grill fronts. That said the fog light assemblies are held in by 3 screws so if you jack up the car you should be able to remove them. However, I did change the bulb on my drivers side fog light and that was pretty easy.

I just looked at the thread that Michelle posted. WOW, I wish it were that easy. They must have changed that design in either 2001 or 2002. I guess the 1998 to 2000 Beetles are just SOL.
Strange, maybe a running change in 2000, DZLBUG's is separate, no doubt about it. :confused:
Maybe you got one of them Canadian versions too! :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Strange, maybe a running change in 2000, DZLBUG's is separate, no doubt about it. :confused:
No, definitely not a Canadian model. According to Marvin's Dad post in Michelle's thread there was a cut off in Mid 2000 where they changed over to the new design/removable lower grill. All models from 1998 - Mid 2000 regardless of Canadian or not have NON-Removable lower Grills. My Beetle was manufactured in April of 2000.

As per Marvins_dad Post number 2 of Michelle's DIY thread above:

"Just a note - Pre mid 2000 models still require the old method of taking off the bottom skid and possibly removing the front end. That's just because the grill can't be removed the same way from what I recall."

Now, if you are just changing the light bulb you can still do it without taking off the bumper but if you need to replace the entire fog light assembly it will be very tough. My driver side log fog light
mount is busted and I zip tied it as per advise from Opelmania. So far so good.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts

They are all separate, only there are clips that go through where the fogs attach and the screws that hold the fogs on, hold the valance on as well on the early nB's.

Tom-> I tried every little bit to try and get in there, just too small an area height wise. Even have 90 degree screwdrivers that won't work. German Engineering...Gotta love it! :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No, definitely not a Canadian model. According to Marvin's Dad post in Michelle's thread there was a cut off in Mid 2000 where they changed over to the new design/removable lower grill. All models from 1998 - Mid 2000 regardless of Canadian or not have NON-Removable lower Grills. My Beetle was manufactured in April of 2000.

As per Marvins_dad Post number 2 of Michelle's DIY thread above:

"Just a note - Pre mid 2000 models still require the old method of taking off the bottom skid and possibly removing the front end. That's just because the grill can't be removed the same way from what I recall."

Now, if you are just changing the light bulb you can still do it without taking off the bumper but if you need to replace the entire fog light assembly it will be very tough. My driver side log fog light
mount is busted and I zip tied it as per advise from Opelmania. So far so good.
Except Opelmania's '98 pictured and discussed above has a removeable one. Perhaps not the original bumper?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Except Opelmania's '98 pictured and discussed above has a removeable one. Perhaps not the original bumper?
No he doesn't. He has the same crappy set up as I do. No way to remove that lower grill without breaking the $hit out of it. Which I think he did in order to install his fog lights from a 2002 Beetle and then he zip tied them to his grill.
MOD 101. :D Zip ties and Duct Tape hold the world together ;)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here is a closer pic of the original fogs in there. Notice the metal track on top. That's what is in the way to get those screws out.
But it is certainly not a molded one piece (bumper and valence) assembly, not what I/m seeing. And AFAYK, original to the car?

Btw, thanks for allowing me to pirate your pic and use you as an example! ;)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Here is a closer pic of the original fogs in there. Notice the metal track on top. That's what is in the way to get those screws out.
Pretty pi$$ poor design if you ask me. However, I still think that a small ratchet socket with a Phillips head attachment might get the job done.

Something like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_9010646-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=#utm_source=cse&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=value3&utm_content=value4

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Pretty pi$$ poor design if you ask me. However, I still think that a small ratchet socket with a Phillips head attachment might get the job done.
Maybe just the screw tip on the end of a pair of vice grips. Can't think of anything else that would require less clearance. Problem may be clearance as the screw unwinds. Gonna be a bitch! Looking closer it appears to be a "slide in", just need to loosen the screw head not take it out. This is good because getting it back in could be a real challenge! lol it's a pan head, so you may be able to turn the screws with just a small vise grips.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts