NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
99 Beetle, 1.8t, 5 spd manual, cream leather interior, motor needs rebuilt.
To command that type of money for a '99 witha blown engine, and who knows what other issues, the car would have to be an awffully pristine low mileage car. And even then...

Rebuilding a 1.8T can be a rather expensive proposition, and probably well beyond the value of the car. It might be of some value to someone who has a wrecked NB with a good engine to swap in. The automatic transmission also reduces the desireability of the vehicle as the automatics of these years were very problematic. Edit: Nevermind that comment, 5spd M/T!

You don't indicate the cause of the failure, but most likely a timing belt or water pump/timing belt failure. Or is it the Turbo that has failed?

You need to give all the information on the vehicle including the mileage and a location. Color and pics would also be nice. Or is this just a feeler? For comments like this?

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,914 Posts
Why does the engine need replacing? Mileage? Location? Pics of the car?

Also MORAV, it is listed as a 5-speed :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Doh! Ty, don't know where I got the auto in my head!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Why does the engine need replacing? Mileage? Location? Pics of the car?

Also MORAV, it is listed as a 5-speed :)
x2, Smileybug ...

(Updated after reading details below) Price range estimate for an operational NB in my area is $1,400 - $3,100, depending on appearance and mileage. Depending on why the motor is blown, you might get somewhere between $500 and $1,500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re: 99 1.8 turbo, 5 Speed Manual

This car is Navy blue, and cream leather interior, a connecting rod is broken, timing belt is only 30,000 miles old, perfect running condition, turbo and all until Saturday morning, left my home, drove about 4 miles, the oil light came on, i shut the car off, and coasted until i could pull over. Long story short, the oil cooler seal blew out right when i started it that morning , the trail of oil is a dead giveaway. It has 156,000 miles. Im definitely not demanding any price, the price is set after asking a few people, im also willing to part it out. I am Dunnelon, Fl, which is near Ocala. Not a feeler email, my car broke, i purchased a new one at the Bug Jam in Dade City yesterday. I can email pictures to an email, i cant seem to upload on here from my phone.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
This car is Navy blue, and cream leather interior, a connecting rod is broken, timing belt is only 30,000 miles old, perfect running condition, turbo and all until Saturday morning, left my home, drove about 4 miles, the oil light came on, i shut the car off, and coasted until i could pull over. Long story short, the oil cooler seal blew out right when i started it that morning , the trail of oil is a dead giveaway. It has 156,000 miles. Im definitely not demanding any price, the price is set after asking a few people, im also willing to part it out. I am Dunnelon, Fl, which is near Ocala. Not a feeler email, my car broke, i purchased a new one at the Bug Jam in Dade City yesterday. I can email pictures to an email, i cant seem to upload on here from my phone.
I do not think that you can post pics from a smart phone.

You mention a connecting rod being broken; what rod? If you are referring to a cam/valve rod, NB's do not have them, their valves are hydraulic.

Losing an oil cooler seal is not necessarily a bad thing. As long as the motor did not over heat and seize, then all you need to do is replace the oil cooler o-ring and your NB is fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts