NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 1.8L New Beetle that has given me all kinds of problems. Most recently, this morning, I went to start it in 5 degree (F) weather and it cranked and cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. I tried this four times before it finally came alive, but then the check engine light was on!:confused:

I recently had to have the battery replaced (cold MN weather killed the old one). The catalytic converter was a right mess last summer and the check engine light was on for a while then. The transmission has made a good attempt at falling out. The ignition switch was bad when I got it. The power steering pump and hoses all had to be replaced less than a year ago. The left blinker occasionally cant decide what speed to go. And the sunroof doesn't work! I've put more into this car to fix it than I did to purchase it two years ago.

Help me!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Bluelemon, Sorry to hear about all those troubles. The New Beetles aren't known for their reliability, obviously. They are more of a car for those who like tinkering and have another vehicle for backup. (Especially with the turbo engines.)

Is the check engine light still on? Whether it is or not you need to get the codes read as that will provide insight into what happened. Autozone or some other parts stores will read the codes for free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The more and more I read on the forums I feel that I am very fortunate to have purchased my '99 2.0 three years ago with little problems. Yes, I have had the electrical gremlins and the usual thing here and there, but I can't complain too much. When I bought her, she became my daily driver. I wanted to give my 1965 VW Squareback the rest she deserved after being my DD for so long. I don't make mechanical repairs myself, either. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts