VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife's 99 NB is leaking ATF around the transaxle fill plug (09G or 01M transaxle according to my Haynes manual). We purchased the car in June and we've had several problems ever since. I haven't run the car in about a month because it has a battery drain issue (ordered a new door lock actuator which should fix that problem). So, while awaiting the door lock actuator I decided to tackle the fill plug issue. I thoroughly dried the area and then went back later to ensure the leak was coming from around the plastic fill plug and it is. I read in other posts that the plastic fill plug is supposed to have some sort of locking device attached to it, and ours does not. I don't think that would have anything to do with the leak, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it. Anyway, I decided to remove the plastic fill plug to check the two o-rings, and when I did, ATF came gushing out and it didn't stop for about 10-12 seconds so I reinstalled the plug. BTW, I quickly checked the plug's two o-rings while I had it removed, and they looked good. Remember, this car has been sitting static for a month, and ATF has been seeping from this area that entire time. My question is, when I remove the fill plug, should ATF be running from the fill port when the car is cold and just sitting? The car's previous owner didn't take very good care of it, and I wonder if they over-serviced the ATF? Assuming it is over-serviced, should I remove the plug and let the fluid run out until it stops? From what I've read, you need a chemistry degree just to service the NB automatic transmission. I've watched a few Youtube DIY videos about servicing the NB AT, and I don't think any of them are done by the book. Also, this NB runs great, and the transmission is very smooth and seems to shift fine. Has anyone else experienced this leakage/over-servicing problem? Any answers will be appreciated. KC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just checked the fill plug after drying it thoroughly and it is leaking again, but it's not leaking around the fill plug as first suggested, it's leaking from the area where the fill spout seats to the transmission. I attached a not-very-clear photo, but I think you can clearly see the leak is at the bottom of the fill spout. So, could the leak still be caused by over-servicing? If not, could it be that the seal on the fill spout (that's what I'm calling it, I don't know the technical term) is bad? I'm beginning to think I'll need to drop the pan to replace whatever device is supposed to be sealing the spout to the transmission. Thanks again for any inputs. KC

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
The fill plug is designed as a 1 use item, they are good only once so every time you check the trans, you need a new plug. I checked my fluid by sticking my little finger in there and felt down 1" or so before I reached the fluid. That is not the correct way but that's what I did, and I didn't replace the old plug either. My beat beetle drove 100 feet before I shut it off and it's had no spark since, so mine will probably leak if I don't junk it first.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Did you pull out the black fill plug at the top of the fill tube (retained by the red locking collar), or did you pull the black fill TUBE out of the transmission?

Here's all the parts. If indeed you pulled the cap out, and ATF came out, I would suggest an immediate pan drop/drain, filter change, and refill (using the correct amount/procedure).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts