VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. My daughter drives a 99, 2.0 (AEG), 5-speed, Newbeetle. Generally this car has run well (>200k) and other than a coil pack and a crank position sensor replacement, has been solid for several years but yesterday it began to run badly (bogged down, idled badly, barely running). This happened about a year and a half ago and I pulled the plugs to find the #4 really caked up. Replaced all four and have had no similar problem until now. Yesterday, it started to run badly in the same way. Generic code reader said P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0304 (misfires). Pulled the plugs to find the same #4 caked up again and proceeded to replace all four... I got this, right? This time... not the fix. Really not much change at all. Cleared the codes and all but the P0302 returned. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
caked up

what is all caked up? has the valve cover gasket been replaced in this car already? common issue in these beetles is the valve cover gasket leaking oil into the spark plug well and eventually getting into the cylinder.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, caked up was my way of describing that the electrode area of the plug was literally filled with burnt on material... presumably oil. when i saw this the first time, i expected it to recur and the performance to drop but it has been a year and a half since i saw it. #4 only, the others were reasonably clean. grey/brown normal looking both times. I wasn't sure how this would figure in to my current problem as I have misfire codes for all cylinders.

·
99BeetleBug
1 Posts
mine too!!

My car is leaking oil and is bogging down as well as shaking like crazy when I'm stopped at a red light or stop sign. I posted pics if ANYONE can help me PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah, no oil leak here. in 200k miles, it has had a couple of valve cover gaskets and is currently pretty clean. but i've got the wild, shaky idle :) I am currently using the Actron CP9135 OBDII reader.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Some other possible sources of your problems:

The spark plug cables should have been replaced, maybe a couple of times by now. You don't mention those.

The fuel pump is on borrowed time if it is original. Check the fuel pressure. You should be on your 3rd or 4th fuel filter.

The one plug that is fouling could be an indication of a fuel injector problem. You should run injector cleaner occasionally, especially if you don't use name brand gas.

When was the coil pack replaced? If you got a cheap replacement part it could be going again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the posts. The wires haven't been replaced since about 2009. they could use it, i'm sure. coil pack is an sti. the mechanic i used at the time thought this was a good one. i have NEVER replaced the fuel pump or filter. i could do the filter tomorrow night... and round up a fuel pressure tester. sure seems like the fuel pump/filter kind of thing would be the deal since all of the misfires came on at the same time. does that make sense? I remember my daughter telling me that with this problem it used a ton of fuel. I can see it spitting a bit from the tailpipe. hey, thanks for brainstorming.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Most mechanics at a 'local' level are not trained in the nuances that the VW's have. In fact most shops I've worked with? Tend not to suggest a fuel filter--as most are listed as being good for the lifetime of the car/truck. (Which is bad on the car makers part--as no filter lasts forever)

We took ours out, with 122k on it. Very bunged up with crud. We tipped it over to drain the fuel out of the 'in' side--and had frankly black/brown thick fluid come out.

It's not a hard job, just be careful of the clips as mentioned.

Now if this issue just kicked up quick? I would also suspect other issues are creating the problems and acting in concert with the fuel filter. Everything hits and fails--and you have the perfect storm for serious problems.

The misfire codes can be annoying. There are many 'tests' that can be done to see if you're misfire is the results of a failed coil pack. (Do a youtube search and you'll find a guy called "Eric the Car Guy". He's a master ASE tech. While he does not work on VW's as a rule? He's great with instructional videos)

Good luck with it! And let the group know if you need help!

S-

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
My car is leaking oil and is bogging down as well as shaking like crazy when I'm stopped at a red light or stop sign. I posted pics if ANYONE can help me PLEASE!!!
Kerri,

We would be happy to help. Please start your own post/thread and give us some details about the car and the issues. (Repair history, recent work done, and details about what's going on and when). Also keep in mind that many of us work full time jobs, and may not reply quickly. (I'm sneaking here from work being naughty...)

Best Regards!

S-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts