NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 99 VW Beetle that I've been working to restore for the past year (length of time due to money issues) I recently had both speed sensors replaced by a local mechanic since it kept going into limp mode. However, after a week of driving it back and forth to work, it had started going back into limp mode. It only happened a few times during driving the first few days, but now it is permenantly stuck in it now and is idling kind of rough. There are no error codes, no check engine light, so I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Is there any way to throw it out of limp mode if there are no errors? I had considered resetting the ECM by disconnecting the battery for a half hour. Any way to reset the TCM? Thanks for the help.

I've changed the transmission fluid, two speed sensors, water pump, timing belt, all gasket on head, spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,710 Posts
You have a ton of possible issues and variables here; what scan tool are you using (is it vw compatible?) and what brand, quality of parts have you been using to swap out the old ones with? What "speed sensors"; exactly did you replace? Poor quality parts; can actually, cause more problems and bring allot of confusion into your troubleshooting process, as poor quality parts can fail or be DOA/faulty out of the box. A basic reset; can be done by removing the battery cables and touching the pos/neg ends for 30 seconds and then re-install. Maybe others can chime in; about resetting the trans.

It would really be beneficial to have a vw compatible scanner; to be able to read codes and see what is going on with the car, when running (live data).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scanned for Errors

Ok, so still no engine light, but checked for codes anyway and found:

P0758 - Transmission shift solenoid B
P0768 - Transmission shift solenoid D
P0715 - Transmission Turbine Speed Sensor, performance or circuit.

And the engine light comes on for a second when I start the car, but it disappears.

Mind, that the last error, P0715, was the previous error that I took to the mechanic to get fixed and when he replaced speed sensor #2. I'm at a loss of what to do. Any help would appreciated.

And I've tried clearing out the codes, they just came back and when I cleared out the codes, it did not go out of limp mode. Please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm this sounds like what happened to my girlfriend's 2000 1.8t beetle with auto. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to transmissions:p. Sounds like your transmission solenoids may need to be replaced, test them to see if they are working within spec. Not sure if maybe the circuits to the solenoids could be throwing the codes and messing with the solenoids. My girlfriend replaced the shift solenoid and it worked for about a month then the problem came back and I don't want to say it but her trans had to be rebuilt. Hopefully you are not having the same problem.
good luck with your diagnostics and repair! I hope someone more experienced can help you out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so still no engine light, but checked for codes anyway and found:

P0758 - Transmission shift solenoid B
P0768 - Transmission shift solenoid D
P0715 - Transmission Turbine Speed Sensor, performance or circuit.

And the engine light comes on for a second when I start the car, but it disappears.

Mind, that the last error, P0715, was the previous error that I took to the mechanic to get fixed and when he replaced speed sensor #2. I'm at a loss of what to do. Any help would appreciated.

And I've tried clearing out the codes, they just came back and when I cleared out the codes, it did not go out of limp mode. Please help.

Thanks
What were the original codes that led you to change the speed sensors? (Other than the speed sensor codes were there any engine or transmission codes with it?)

Check the speed sensor to see if it was properly installed (plug fell out ect) Other wise I would say have someone change the the shift solenoids they are in the valvebody.

It could also be the TCM that is malfunctioning. But with out ruling everything else out, it's hard to tell if there is a glitch in TCM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New Codes

Thanks everyone for you help. I recently took the car to my brother who owns a USB-OBDII cable and software to read the codes the car throws. These were the results:

"C2807 TRAILER BRAKE OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND",
"C1807 VENT SOLENOID SUPPLY SHORT TO BATTERY",

P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P0768 Shift Solenoid D Electrical
P0773 Shift Solenoid E Electrical
P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0100 Mass or Volume air flow circuit malfunction
P0003 Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low

The P0715 was the original code that prompted me to take it to have the speed sensors changed (had both changed, but the mechanic failed to mention WHICH ONES).

Any input would be appreciated. Very frustrated since mechanic refuses to even give a pricing estimate for the solenoid repair till he sees it and runs his diagnostic software.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts