VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a New Beetle forum, but it's also the one with the most 2012+ Beetle posts that I've found. Obviously there's a lot of focus on the New Beetle, but only one forum for Questions/Problems for the Beetle.

To attract more Beetle (2012+) owners, I'd suggest a "The Beetle 2012+ Experience" forum at the very least. Not sure I'd add a different one for the convertible like the New Beetle has, not until the Beetle Experience forum picks up steam.

I'd also recommend adding a optional feature to tag posts with either "New Beetle" or "Beetle 2012+". I've seen it in other forums as a drop down just below the thread title field. If someone tags their post, the system adds the tag in bold to the thread title. That will be incredibly helpful, especially in the engine forums.

Thanks.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i can see where youre going with this and i agree and i disagree. im sure youre going to get a lot of heated discussions on this topic for sure. one of my best friends is black and we had the discussion of why is there a BET tv channel? why have so many different options? we are all here for the same thing.

on the other hand it would be easier for you guys to have your own area to talk about your body style and your features which are different from ours.

downside is you will never be involved with our discussions and mods because you wont be forced to see them and to me that means you lose out on the total beetle experience we are trying to achieve her on the org.

this is just my .02 and who am I? lol.. good luck and welcome!

-jd

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a good point. I'm my experience though, it's good to specify the generation you are posting about because a mod that works in one generation many times doesn't work in another. I'm looking at the DIY threads and mod threads and the pictures and instructions just don't apply to my model.

I guess it boils down to the purpose of the forum and how to attract new members. I think that this is an excellent resource for New Beetle owners. And I have indeed learned a lot reading many threads. But something as simple as the flower vase was a bit of a challenge.

2012+ Beetle owners don't seem to have a spot to call home on the Internet, so I appreciate this place even more. What I find most useful in a car forum is the DIY threads, pics, and mod descriptions that one can learn from. But I've seen enough examples of things that won't work on mine, so I just have to be careful not to assume they will.

I had the same experience when the 370Z came out and the Miata NC came out. Miata.net is an outstanding example of a multigenerational car site where every generation is well represented, differentiated, but all Miata owners can share common topics.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Please send your idea, via PM to "admin"- the chief org admin. This is a great idea.

Effort has been made to make the 12+ an equal part of this forum. The 12+ is not a new beetle, but it is a continuation of the beetle lineage; a good majority of us new beetle oweners, are just as passionate for the 12+ as it's owners. The 12+ only bolsters the Beetle brand as well as the org community.

I'm sure you've noticed the homepage and how the 12+ beetle article is there, as well as the forum topics and sub-topics. So again, I would ask the admin to add these additional features.

I put together the 2012+ beetle writeup on the homepage, as well as getting the chief admin (Cayne at the time) to incorporate the 2012+ forums sections within the org. Maybe there were others working behind the scenes. All's I know is that I wrote/assembled the article and submitted the org's expansion suggestions; Cayne was in direct communique with me throughout the process, and published the article on the homepage as well as amending the org to incorporate the 12+Beetle. So I'm coming from a bit of experience.

Not sure if our super mods, MarvinsDad and Dnyed can do this, but it wouldn't hurt to PM them and see. I'm no moderator... just an ol school orger, passionate for the forum that I love. Hopefully your passion will bring about results as well. Go get em:bigthumb:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
It would be good to have a 2.0 TDI section as well. Its a very, very different engine from the 1.9.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Just a thought, and although it's probably easier said than done, has anyone thought about renaming the site to something like WaterBeetle.org or watercooledBeetle.org?
Call me Mr. Sentimental, but I like it as is- it our brand. New Beetle is denotes the water cooled nature of our cars.

If anything, it could read:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts