NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2000 2.0. Sat for awhile. But i did some work on it and reinstalled the alternator, all of the air box from the MAF up to thottle body After cleaning it all. It ran great after i put a hot battery on it. Ran beautifully, then all the sudden it started a miss at idle and when i take off it spudders when i accelerate. If i back ofF or clutch in a little, it will clear up. And my secondary air pump doesn't have the fatory hose on it but it does have a hose from it to the air box. What is causing the misfire and the hesitation.

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
As always, start with scanning for trouble codes and post up the codes, not just the descriptions. How long has it been sitting? The current gas being sold with ethanol; goes bad quickly and doesn't combust (burn),very well, which can make a car run badly. You can siphon the gas out of the gas tank, it typically has abnormal smell, putting some on the ground, see if it burns easily, is a quick combust-ability test
and if bad, fill with fresh or if low, add mire fresh gas and see if it helps.

Basics, such as fuel pressure; shouldn't be overlooked and is not hard to do.

Rough idle, can be a throttle body that has lost its alignment setting (clean, do a throttle body alignment procedure) and check for vacuum leaks. This can be caused by bad hoses and check the plastic pipe off of the brake booster for cracks, splits (causing a large unmetered vacuum leak; it can cause a high pitched squealing sound).

Scan for codes and give us, more history of the car (old gas) and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info. Ill do like you said and get codes. And check for leaks.but it will run great and out of nowhere, it has a dead miss and then runs fine for abouta minute then the miss hits; only one miss real quick. As if it cut the key off and back on really fast. But ill check what you mentioned

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
There are many possible reasons for a intermittent misfire issue; typically it is ignition or fuel delievery related. Trouble codes, can help you narrow down, the problem and give you clues, as to where your troubleshooting and testing should be focused on, (a process of elimination).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey billymade. I think i found a vacuum line that is too small and may be collasping. It goes from a gadget that is in front of the master cylinder but closer to the hood hinge. Has 2 little hoses that runs to the engine. The one that connects under the throttle body is the one.
The hose is for an oxygen mask. See through and not strong at all.
Now i have no heat. Blower works, the right antifreeze,new thermostat and coolant sensor assembly is all new. Everything works but no warm air is coming out.????

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
I'm not aware of any see through hoses; installed originally by vw; you might post some photos of what you are referring to and we can see it, confirm the issue.

As to no heat, you may have air in the cooling system or the the heater core is blocked? Here is a video, going over the bleeding process; a vacuum based bleeder/coolant filler makes it easier:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not aware of any see through hoses; installed originally by vw; you might post some photos of what you are referring to and we can see it, confirm the issue.

As to no heat, you may have air in the cooling system or the the heater core is blocked? Here is a video, going over the bleeding process; a vacuum based bleeder/coolant filler makes it easier:

15797238345905072309787224765116.jpg

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
Looks like #7; the sai solenoid val:

·
Registered
11,813 Posts

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
It isn't uncommon for these vacuum hoses to dry out and split over time; I am sure you can go to the auto parts store and find some rubber vacuum hose that would work for you, if you want to get rid of the clear hose (Which probably won't hold up in the heat of the engine compartment, long term).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea i am going to parts house to get both. I am just making sure about everything on the vw. Ive built alot of cars and 2 car pros is normally where i go, but beings how i never built a vw , i figured I'd ask ya before i did jump right in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts