·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A boy and his 2.0: 'Lil Red'

I have a 2.0l 2000 red, New Beetle GL.
What it started as:

As it is now:

It was originally my dad's commuting car, bought new. We were supposed to get a silver one with the leather and all that, but something happened and they needed to replace the roof or something. I was about 8 at the time and didn't really know what the deal was, but long story short, we ended up just getting this red one that was on the lot. To be honest i would have liked to have the silver one, but it's ok haha.

I got my license about 5 months ago, (i'm 17) and was pretty excited knowing that the beetle would basically become my car. I love to drive it, and think it looks pretty cool, especially from certain angles. Only real problem is the comments i get from certain people. It's kinda a 'love it or dickishly make negative remarks about it', relationship. I try not to let them get to me but suffice to say, it's 'bugging me.'

I will not be stopped though, i think modded bugs are some of the coolest looking cars out there, and i think with a little work, my NB can be one of the 'cool' cars too :)

Mods:

-Black and grey GTI sport seats in the front
-DRL disabled
-20% tints sides and rear
-black lower valance
-blacked out emblem
-Pioneer head unit
-Infinity Reference door speakers
-Painted hub caps
-Steering wheel cover
-Painted shifter boot
-black painted center console and door handles
-Some stickers and little figurines :D!
-Audi tt 'short' shifter
-Snowbox removal
-VR6 OEM alloys (painted black)
-smoked taillights

Desired Future Mods:
-Roof painted black
-Joey mod headlights black
-Get rid of all that hideous creme stuff in the interior. Idk who's idea that was...
-clear corners
-shaved hood and trunk

Dream Future Mods:
-turbo
-exhaust
-chip
-coilovers
-etc.

So i'm sure most of you didn't read my autobiography up there, so here are the pictures!

Before:

·
Full Metal
317 Posts
definitely do the joey mod on the headlights, it'll make it look even angrier, hehe, nice job though.

use nightshades on the rears, i did it on ours and it made a helluva difference, just be sure to hit em with a few coats of clear afterwards.

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
I think your car looks really nice. How one earth did you get a red trunk shelf/lid... parcel shelf thing?(I have no idea what to call it):p Did you just have it re-carpeted?

Looks GREAT! Nice job. :)

·
Full Metal
317 Posts
I think your car looks really nice. How one earth did you get a red trunk shelf/lid... parcel shelf thing?(I have no idea what to call it):p Did you just have it re-carpeted?

i think he painted it.

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Actually, it's top secret though..spray paint! lol
It doesn't feel all the great, but i figure it it's a piece for looking, not touching :)

definitely do the joey mod on the headlights, it'll make it look even angrier, hehe, nice job though.

use nightshades on the rears, i did it on ours and it made a helluva difference, just be sure to hit em with a few coats of clear afterwards.
I want to joey mod them, but i'm worried that if i heat up the lense to get the cover off, i'm gonna ruin the adhesive of the eyelids and have to do them over again, and those were a pain to get on without huge creases (still are some near the black rubber part, but oh well.) Maybe i'll gain the courage to do it some day though :)

As for the taillights, i dont really like the matte look. You suggest coats of clear, but i was thinking of maybe putting like 5% tint on them or something, know of anyone who's done it that way?

Anyway, thanks for the feeback guys :D

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
I must say, that I never thought of that. VERY creative. :)
Anyhoo...I like it. :) It looks really nice. It works, I suppose...as long as you don't touch it. :p LOL!
Hey man, if it gets the job done, that is what matters. :)

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must say, that I never thought of that. VERY creative. :)
Anyhoo...I like it. :) It looks really nice. It works, I suppose...as long as you don't touch it. :p LOL!
Hey man, if it gets the job done, that is what matters. :)
yea, it's just kinda rough, not like sticky or anything. Let's just say you wouldn't wanna use it as a pillow or something ;)

·
Fiona's proud mom <3
2004 2.0L GL Cyber Green
4,674 Posts
Wow, you have a VERY nice looking red beetle :goodjob: You have done a very good job so far, keep it up :) and if you can get tinted windows DO IT!!!!! first off it looks cool and second it keeps the heat out ;) well keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying them so far :)

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, you have a VERY nice looking red beetle :goodjob: You have done a very good job so far, keep it up :) and if you can get tinted windows DO IT!!!!! first off it looks cool and second it keeps the heat out ;) well keep the pics coming, I'm enjoying them so far :)
definitely planning on doing tints, just gotta figure out what is the best shop.
Thanks for the compliments! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Painted carpet? WOW! Really? You can do that? What????
Talk to me here. I don't understand.
I used this paint to refinish the peeling rubber on the interior grab handles on the door (and it worked great):
High-Perf Vinyl & Fabric Coating
I think if you just wanted to touch up various interior trim it would be ok. I hate painting. It's usually something trivial that will screw up my whole project, right at the end when you've spent hours setting it up.
I'm not sure if I would ever want to "paint" a flexible surface but the hatch cover might work. With my luck, I could see myself totally destroying the car with a $10 spray can project :banghead:
e/Learning :: Vinyl & Fabric Coating
Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the eyelids! What are the joey mod's you guys are talking about, can someone post a photograph?

Did you DIY the eyelids or can you purchase those online?

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
Hi Benderbeetle, I actually don't think I am planning on painting the interior parts of my car, except maybe some of the dash pieces. I just thought that it was an interesting idea that someone would paint the parcel shelf/ trunk lid.
Thanks for the information though. I could not paint my trunk lid/ parcel shelf, even if I wanted to, mine is black. Well...I suppose I COULD buy a cream one and do it, or I suppose MAYBE you could paint a black one a different color but, I am not so sure that would work. Anyway, it was an interesting idea, none the less. I am not really planning on doing it, but the idea is still there. :)
I also agree with you on screwing up a project with paint. I could SOoooo see myself doing that too. That is ANOTHER reason I would not want to go down this road. :)

Thanks to all. :)
Oh and I still really like how AbuNigel's car turned out. :) It looks really good.

I used this paint to refinish the peeling rubber on the interior grab handles on the door (and it worked great):
High-Perf Vinyl & Fabric Coating
I think if you just wanted to touch up various interior trim it would be ok. I hate painting. It's usually something trivial that will screw up my whole project, right at the end when you've spent hours setting it up.
I'm not sure if I would ever want to "paint" a flexible surface but the hatch cover might work. With my luck, I could see myself totally destroying the car with a $10 spray can project :banghead:
e/Learning :: Vinyl & Fabric Coating
Cheers.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
you need one of two mods to your wheels..

Retro Steelies..with beauty rings

or Pickle caps with beauty rings :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 211 Posts