NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject appears to be a common issue, but i'm not getting anywhere with my efforts. I have a 2002 Beetle 1.8 turbo. Before blowing a coolant hose and warping the head, I was trying to track down why the coolant fans and ac compressor aren't coming on. I repaired the other issues and am now back to fans and a/c. I live on the Texas/Louisiana Border and cannot impress how important those items are. Up to this point, I have changed the high pressure a/c switch, the relays, the tempature sending units, the one on the tee coming off the radiator and the one in the hose by the block, the FCM, the battery box fuse block and traced wires till i'm blue in the face. I've got power to the FCM but no power to the fans or a/c compressor. I'm pretty fair at mechanicin', but this is getting the best of me. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
fuse box

This subject appears to be a common issue, but i'm not getting anywhere with my efforts. I have a 2002 Beetle 1.8 turbo. Before blowing a coolant hose and warping the head, I was trying to track down why the coolant fans and ac compressor aren't coming on. I repaired the other issues and am now back to fans and a/c. I live on the Texas/Louisiana Border and cannot impress how important those items are. Up to this point, I have changed the high pressure a/c switch, the relays, the tempature sending units, the one on the tee coming off the radiator and the one in the hose by the block, the FCM, the battery box fuse block and traced wires till i'm blue in the face. I've got power to the FCM but no power to the fans or a/c compressor. I'm pretty fair at mechanicin', but this is getting the best of me. Any help would be appreciated.
Sometimes those off brand fuse box units have loose continuity even though the fuse is there, fuse is good and connected still does not mean it's making contact. You gotta put a meter from gound to the other side of the fuse socket, then wiggle the fuse to see if you loose continuity. Seen that happened before, POOR DESIGN BY VW IMO. If your Freon pressures are too low it also will not engage the compressor or turn on the fans until the coolant temperature or radiator temp. switch will turn them on. When you push the A/C button on your dash panel does the A/C button light up? and you also have the blower at any speed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts