NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I own a 1998 2.0 Beetle. The car's a/c compressor won't kick on and the LH fan is not turning on. The RH fan(in front of a/c compressor) comes on though. Also, with the compressor not kicking, I am unable to do a re-charge of freon. I have just recently replaced the FCM with a brand new one but had no progress in getting the a/c or the LH fan to work. I have checked the fuses on top of the battery and they're all good. Could it be a different fuse or sensor? Thermo sensor? High pressure sensor? Relays? Fried wires? How and where do I check for power? Help will be much appreciated... trying to survive Minnesota's heat wave.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are many possibilities in why the clutch won't engage. Pressure switch, temp switch, thermo switch. As for the fan, it might be simple as a loose wire to a bad fan motor. If you're good with a meter, you can figure it out.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
There is a high pressure switch on the passenger side line about halfway between the engine and the firewall that can be a problem,unplug it and you can jump 2 of the leads to turn the clutch on. Im not sure which ones though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a high pressure switch on the passenger side line about halfway between the engine and the firewall that can be a problem,unplug it and you can jump 2 of the leads to turn the clutch on. Im not sure which ones though.
Tried it but all it did was turn the RH fan on.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
I'll have to buy one. Both fans have to work for the compressor to kick on right? Or can the compressor kick on without the fans being on?
Turning on the a/c turns on the fans at low speed, both should run. Whether they run or not the ECU doesn't know so a busted fan(s) won't stop the a/c running until the temps get out of whack - which is why the fans run in the first place to provide some air flow at low speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hope this helps :) I've been through this a couple of weeks ago with the same symptom. AC won't kick.

Try the water temperature sensor on the water hose , it's the grey one with 2 wires. You can also put a wire between them and see if this kicks it in.

I have the FCM defective and this sensor, then the AC worked just fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi all,
I own a 1998 2.0 Beetle. The car's a/c compressor won't kick on and the LH fan is not turning on. The RH fan(in front of a/c compressor) comes on though. Also, with the compressor not kicking, I am unable to do a re-charge of freon. I have just recently replaced the FCM with a brand new one but had no progress in getting the a/c or the LH fan to work. I have checked the fuses on top of the battery and they're all good. Could it be a different fuse or sensor? Thermo sensor? High pressure sensor? Relays? Fried wires? How and where do I check for power? Help will be much appreciated... trying to survive Minnesota's heat wave.

I am pretty sure the fans will not come on if you don't have Freon in the system. How did you check the fuses box over the battery? The fuse box is a very common source of fan and air conditioner problems. Wiggle the fuse, as the fuse test will test good. With these cars, one almost has to check the fuse box firs and then move to other things......read this:

(1) No Compressor Operation in Volkswagen New Beetle

(2) http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/A4_Air_Conditioning_Troubleshooting_Rev_7.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope this helps :) I've been through this a couple of weeks ago with the same symptom. AC won't kick.

Try the water temperature sensor on the water hose , it's the grey one with 2 wires. You can also put a wire between them and see if this kicks it in.

I have the FCM defective and this sensor, then the AC worked just fine.
Thanks! I will take a look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am pretty sure the fans will not come on if you don't have Freon in the system. How did you check the fuses box over the battery? The fuse box is a very common source of fan and air conditioner problems. Wiggle the fuse, as the fuse test will test good. With these cars, one almost has to check the fuse box firs and then move to other things......read this:

(1) No Compressor Operation in Volkswagen New Beetle

(2) http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/A4_Air_Conditioning_Troubleshooting_Rev_7.pdf
The RH fan comes on though. How do I check freon levels? I can't get any freon in and the meter needle is in the dangerous red area. I did check the fuses. The s180 fuse terminal does have some damage from excess heat. When I unplugged it, the RH fan turned off and plugging it back in only made the RH fan come back on. Wiggeling the fuse made no difference..

Thanks for the info!!! The tdiclub source seems very useful. I'll update you guys on testings!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts