VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new (to me) 99 on the road today and now its time to start tackling some of the few issues she's got. First up, since it was 90 degrees, is getting the A/C working.

The fan knob does nothing, the A/C switch doesn't seem to do anything, but the recirculation button next to A/C works and lights up. Its possible, but I'm not sure, that I heard the clutch on the A/C kick on when I turned on the fan and the pressed the A/C switch, but there was no fan and no cool air to speak of.

I checked the fuse, seems okay. The two 12v charger ports in the center console do not work either. Might this be a common gremlin? Has anyone faced this issue before?

A thousand thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the 12v chargers working by borrowing the fuse from the fog lights, but still no go on the HVAC fan and A/C/Heat.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HVAC controllers are a known failure point and they also can be a fire hazard; read this thread for more info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...new-beetle/79561-climate-control-problem.html
Fixed! Too cool to tell if the A/C is working, but the fan and heat works. Might just need a freon charge.

Edit: Culprit was the little metal thingy, check it out: http://imgur.com/a/mBOEr. Used silicone to put the metal piece back in (was what I had on hand, fingers crossed it holds)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confirmed in the semi-heat today that the A/C is not blowing cold. Has a slight smell to it as well. Not musty like it hasn't been used, more like some kind of chemical. Shut it off pretty quickly after that.

Wonder if it just needs a recharge?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would appear to be. I feel a slight change in RPM. I don't have an assistant with me to click it on while I watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts