VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stumped! My daughter's 2002 Beetle 2.0L A/C was blowing warm, even though the compressor was running. I checked pressures with gauges and found the low side at 70 psi and the high at 100 psi. Both fans were running. I initially thought the compressor was weak, but after researching, found that the compressor has an internal, mechanical Refrigerant Control Valve that may be faulty. Considered replacing the valve, but as compressor removal and disassemble was required, I opted to change the whole compressor. After new compressor, receiver dryer, evaporator valve, vacuumed and charged, I have low side pressure of 30 psi and high side of 150 psi, but A/C is still blowing warm. The clutch engages, compressor runs, fans run and pressure look good.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I started the car this morning and A/C was working and blowing 38 F. Drove for about 10 minutes and output suddenly rose to 80 F. After about 10 minutes, dropped to 48 F. Occasionally while driving, output will rise to 80 F for about 10 minutes. Outside temperature is 90 F.
I replaced as much PAG oil as I drained out, although it was not more than 2 ounces.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fans

`looks like a good candidate for bad fans which do not go into high speed or the FCM not putting the fans in high speed. Or it could be the fuse box, loose fuses which provide power to the fans and the FCM.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
updates

Stumped! My daughter's 2002 Beetle 2.0L A/C was blowing warm, even though the compressor was running. I checked pressures with gauges and found the low side at 70 psi and the high at 100 psi. Both fans were running. I initially thought the compressor was weak, but after researching, found that the compressor has an internal, mechanical Refrigerant Control Valve that may be faulty. Considered replacing the valve, but as compressor removal and disassemble was required, I opted to change the whole compressor. After new compressor, receiver dryer, evaporator valve, vacuumed and charged, I have low side pressure of 30 psi and high side of 150 psi, but A/C is still blowing warm. The clutch engages, compressor runs, fans run and pressure look good.
Any ideas?
Any updates as to what was the problem with your A/C? results or info so other folks can learn from this experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts