VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
fahrvergnügen
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Beetle that blows nothing but hot air and the compressor does not want to kick on. When the a/s is turned on, the car constantly spikes at about 500 rpms more than idle for a second and then goes back to normal idle. I took it to a shop to get it checked out, they claimed it being the relay under the battery and said it was good on freon. After reading similar problems with compressor not kicking on, we replaced the fan control module. It still did the same thing with the new one installed. Fans work, compressor doesn't as it does not seem to be getting any power. The fuses on top of the battery look good and do not look like they are melted in any way. Also, a clicking noise can be heard when the a/c is turned on. Could it be the pressure switches? What would be the next thing to check or do?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
wiggle wiggle

I have a 2001 Beetle that blows nothing but hot air and the compressor does not want to kick on. When the a/s is turned on, the car constantly spikes at about 500 rpms more than idle for a second and then goes back to normal idle. I took it to a shop to get it checked out, they claimed it being the relay under the battery and said it was good on freon. After reading similar problems with compressor not kicking on, we replaced the fan control module. It still did the same thing with the new one installed. Fans work, compressor doesn't as it does not seem to be getting any power. The fuses on top of the battery look good and do not look like they are melted in any way. Also, a clicking noise can be heard when the a/c is turned on. Could it be the pressure switches? What would be the next thing to check or do?
wiggle the three green fuses on top of the battery in the fusebox. Sometimes those loose continuity inside under that cheap plastic box VW used even though they look to be okay.

There are also a few switches that need to make contact depending on what year and model engine you have.. ie; ambient temperature switch, low pressure switch, high presser switch, coolant temperature sensor. They all feed into the FCM & the FCM sends a 12 volt signal to the compressor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts