NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2000 for my daughter. Found ac didn't work. Saw where 30 amp fuse melted by battery. Replaced fuse holder and ac worked. Needed charging, did so. Worked great for 2 days. Now when you push ac button light is on but fan and ac clutch do not work. Where do I look next? Checked the fuses, ok

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
fuse melted

I would find out why the fuse socket melted in the first place and you might find the answer to your problem. I would get a wiring diagram of the A/c system and take it step by step on each component it go's through before it turns on the A/C clutch. Some folks, me included have found massive corrosion on the Negative cable of the Battery where it connects to the car's Chassis. That causes all kinds of electrical issues. Good luck to ya :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just made a thread with the same issues as you! The AC fuse burned out, and partially melted the fuse junction slot. I replaced the fuse and it worked fine for a few days before quitting.

In my situation, the fans work so that means the fuse is providing power, but I tested the connector coming off the AC clutch and it is reading 9 volts even with the key off. I'm thinking my AC clutch is burned out because my AC relay is stuck closed. Test the 2-pin connector going to your AC clutch and see if its getting power.

Also try this, with the AC off, start the car, then have someone watch the AC clutch when you press the AC button inside. It should turn on for a second, then turn off. If it doesn't, there may be something wrong with the electrical system (like the AC relay). If it does turn on, then shut off, the pressure is too low and the compressor is being turned off by the AC cutoff switch (could also be faulty).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I am also having the same issue, if I unplug the connector at the compressor, it reads voltage, even when the key is off...so what's the problem? I have the proper amount of R134A, as I had it on the AC machine, but the compressor never cycles. The engine surges, like it is cycling, but it doesn't...

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you're getting voltage at the compressor clutch, even with the key off. Something is buggered. I ordered a new fan controller which should be here tomorrow, hopefully that will fix my problem. If you can test the wires at the plug going to the compressor, you should find resistance, if not, the clutch coil is burned out and has to be replaced.

What I think happened, same symptoms as yours, is that something caused the a/c compressor to stay on all the time. The compressor coil isn't meant to stay on all the time, and it will burn out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought a 2000 for my daughter. Found ac didn't work. Saw where 30 amp fuse melted by battery. Replaced fuse holder and ac worked. Needed charging, did so. Worked great for 2 days. Now when you push ac button light is on but fan and ac clutch do not work. Where do I look next? Checked the fuses, ok

Thanks for any help!
I had the same problem on my daughter's 2000 Turbo. Short story - I followed all the suggestions from the other links but my problem turned out that I had a bad large fan. My fan was four wire instead of the normal three. I had to purchase this directly from VW. I could jumper the old fans and they would work fine. I am guessing the fourth wire was a feedback to the computer most likely causing the computer to keep the compressor from engaging. I also changed the fan control module as I burnt one out with the bad fan issue. A new fan control control module alone did not solve this as I had tried it earlier based on my tests. Hope this helps, my air works well now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
AC was cutting out on my 2000 1.8t. took it to a shop where they ended up replacing the compressor, dryer, thermal switch, and H block. I also replaced the fan control module, cooling fan switch, coolant temp sensor, and ambient temp sensor. none of this worked. I had noticed that when my AC stopped working the large cooling fan was also not spinning. I replaced the it and I seem to have AC working again. the old fan tested fine when I jumper it to the battery in both speeds. like peabody87 mine has 4 wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts