NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C compressor clutch has 9.32 volts, but is not engaging. I hear there is a certain amount of ohms it has to be, but not sure what that does.
Can the compressor be not eagaging, getting 9.32 volts and still be good?

·
362 Posts
Probably one of the fuse holders mounted on top of the battery has overheated and is giving poor contact....they can eventually melt - this is a common problem.

·
Registered
708 Posts
It might be wrong. My NB is a 98, and it reads 12 volts at the compressor. If you are budget minded, I would get a meter out and a wiring diagram and work my way back to the battery and find where the voltage drop is. Most auto part store manuals have a diagram in the back of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The drop is at the FCM. Don't need a meter for that. It shows it in the link. I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, but I find it hard to believe that that link has been referred so many times and no one has picked up on it being THAT wrong before. Any one else have any input on this?

(This is in NO way an attack or jab on supercharged98.)

·
Registered
708 Posts
The drop is at the FCM. Don't need a meter for that. It shows it in the link. I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, but I find it hard to believe that that link has been referred so many times and no one has picked up on it being THAT wrong before. Any one else have any input on this?

(This is in NO way an attack or jab on supercharged98.)
What link are you quoting? Just curious. I was just stating actuals from my own car. I can't find anything that says there's a voltage drop. And why would you want a drop? Just wondering.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The thread from TDI forums that gets referenced a lot states that your voltage at the compressor should be 9-9.5V (page 5, #5A). So, this article is wrong?
Not sure if it's wrong, but it doesn't make sense to drop voltage. The higher the volts, the better the contol will be ( less amps ).
I will have to bow out, my NB is a early 98. This article is for 2000 models and up with non auto-climate control A/C. There must be a difference in between the two. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the clutches were a low grade manufacture and burnt up on a constant 12 volt load. So they added a resistor to drop the voltage to control burn ups.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update!

Just replaced the clutch coil on the compressor while it was still mounted on the car, and now it works great! Not the easiest to do, but doable and only cost $40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts