NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! My wifes 2003 1.8 automatic Beetle/Dream Car has A/C problems. The condenser fan comes on, but the compressor clutch does not engage when the A/C is turned on. The strange thing is that the engine does some kind of spurratic, surge thing (like a pulse)every few seconds only when the A/C is turned on. The clutch makes no attempt to engage (even while the engine is surging) and makes no strange noises. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check the green 30A fuses in the fusebox on top of battery.
Your symptoms sounds like what happened to my car when its left fuse was melted by heat.
Try moving the left fuse a little while the A/C is on and see if the compressor clutch engages or not.
It's a starting point and a cheap fix if this is the cause. Simply clean the contacts and replace the fuse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I highly recommend this thread. It's been the most informative yet. I wish you luck. I'm having the same issue, but all the components test good so I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3rd green fuse

As for the 3rd fuse, it also runs the condenser fans. When I pull it, the fans shut off. So that tells me it's good there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just went through this with mine. It did the same thing with the surging. It was the fan control module. Firestone wanted $275 to replace it. I bought it on germanautoparts.com for $60 and had it in 2 days. Took about 45 minutes to replace. Once that was fixed I found out my compressor was dead. Hope you don't have that problem too!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, I chose the other (pressure switch) and wasted my time and money. :mad: No change whatsoever. I'm irritated. Hope yours works out. I guess I'm FCM shopping. Yay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I took out the old FCM today and noticed the splash shield was missing and there was a little corrosion in the big 4 plug connections. So I cleaned the 2 little connections in there and plugged in the new FCM. When I did that, the fan Blew on high for a couple seconds and quit. The compressor never did come on. So I cleaned the connections on the old FCM and plugged it back in. The fans came on low, but still no compressor. So, I plugged the new one back in and nothing. No fans high or low now or compressor.
So I have to use the old one to keep the fans running.
I did the safty pin trick and checked the voltage to the compressor. It was 9.32 volts with the a/c on and off. Please, please, please help with any suggestions.
Why would the new FCM kick the fans on high for a couple seconds then do nothing? It was a cheap $50 eBay FCM made by Hamburgh.
And what's with the 9.32 volts at the compressor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please help! My wifes 2003 1.8 automatic Beetle/Dream Car has A/C problems. The condenser fan comes on, but the compressor clutch does not engage when the A/C is turned on. The strange thing is that the engine does some kind of spurratic, surge thing (like a pulse)every few seconds only when the A/C is turned on. The clutch makes no attempt to engage (even while the engine is surging) and makes no strange noises. :rolleyes:
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but...

Did anyone ever find out what would cause this? I just charged the a/c in my wifes Beetle and it is doing this exact same thing. An idle surge like it's trying to compensate for the A/C compressor kicking on, but no engagement of the compressor.

The fuses on top of the battery are fine BTW

I just replaced the passenger side radiator fan this morning since it was broke. When I switch the key on and push the a/c button only the passenger side fan works.

I find this funny since the car has never overheated and apparently the big fan is not working. So I'm off to the junkyard tomorrow to get the drivers side fan and maybe I'll grab the FCM while I'm there.

Someone please help! I really want my wife to have working A/C again!

Thanks in advance!
-Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are so many a/c threads and so much confusion. The key is to troubleshoot the system STEP by STEP, not randomly replace parts and keep your fingers crossed.

Step 1: engine OFF, cabin fan on, ignition on, a/c switch engaged. Open hood and verify that both radiator fans are running. If not, fix this issue first before you do anything else. Usually it is stuck/dirty graphite brushes in the fan motor.

Step 2: Follow THIS document on TDIclub.com to troubleshoot fans and the a/c on all A4 platform VWs: Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW - TDIClub Forums

Note that if your compressor clutch electronic coil tests defective, new replacement units are available on eB*y for under $100.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to get the drivers fan now since it is not working with the key on and ac on. I figure I'll grab the fcm while I'm there.

The place I go is dirt cheap.
I got the passenger side radiator fan, a tail light, washer pump and drivers side tweeter for $30. So if I can get the drivers side fan and fcm for $30 I'll be happy.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts